Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
My parents have a G4 Mac Mini. A couple weeks ago, it would no longer boot, and I came to the conclusion that the hard drive was toast. When I booted with verbose mode on, it said error reading hard drive block. When I booted from the Tiger CD, Disk Utility saw that the drive was there but no partitions. Same thing when I hooked my PowerBook up to it in target disk mode.

Last night, I put in a new drive. And upon completion, I'm not sure if I screwed something up and made things worse, or if there was something else wrong with the Mini, but something is seriously messed up. Here's whats happening:

1. It won't boot from a CD. The DVD drive is getting power, as I was able to put the Tiger installation CD in there, and it's spinning up and making noise, but I don't think the computer is reading from the CD. If I hold the C key, it will just sit at a grey screen for a few minutes and then give me the flashing question mark/sad Mac icon.

2. If I don't hold C, I also get the sad Mac icon, but I suppose that's to be expected with no OS on the drive.

3. I can't even get to target disk mode. If I hold T while booting up, it sits at a grey screen, then eventually gives me the sad Mac. Does TDM require an OS to be installed?

4. I can hold the option key on bootup and get the boot drive selection screen, but I have no drives to choose from. I should definitely have the CD as an option.

Any thoughts on what could be wrong? Thanks

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Well, some progress has been made. I removed the hard drive, and now it's booting from the CD. Of course, can't do much without the hard drive, but I know the CD drive isn't completely dead either. Maybe I had the HD in wrong or something. But it's progress.

Edit: Yep, just as I thought. I didn't have the rows of pins lined up correctly on the hard drive. I put it back in, booted from CD, and the hard drive does show up in disk utility and successfully formatted. I suppose I need to troubleshoot, then post threads :D This can be locked or wastelanded or whatever the powers that be want to do with it.

Foxile

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2007
It's worth reading, just in case other have the same 'problems' :)

Glad it's all sorted for you.

kingpikey

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2007
Yeah, maybe someone in the same situation will read your post and fix their own problem. Glad you got it working. Nothing quite as gratifying as fixing your own problem. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.