Need some music recommendations

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by question fear, Sep 13, 2007.

1. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

So, I live in a hole when it comes to music. It's nice and comfy and all my favorite music is there, but it's starting to feel claustrophobic. I didn't realize how isolated I was when it came to new music until I signed up for emusic and promptly spent my free songs+first month's allotment on cd's I had and have since lost.
    I know there have been random threads in the past on people's favorite bands, so I know everyone here has some eclectic tastes.
    My taste tends to run punk/"indie rock" and jazz, so I'm looking for anything either new or that I just haven't heard.
    For some reference, here's my favorite bands/what I went nuts with on emusic:
    -Sleater-Kinney
    -Bikini Kill
    -Cadallaca
    -Pavement
    -Cassandra Wilson
    -Madeleine Peyroux
    -The Gossip
    -Bad Religion
    -The Descendents

My iphone needs variety! Any suggestions or ideas will be greatly appreciated!

2. calculus Guest

calculus

Give these a try...

Cherry Ghost

Blood Red Shoes

My Brightest Diamond

3. question fear thread starter macrumors 68020

question fear

All three added to my list to get! Listened to samples of each of them, all awesome. Blood red shoes seems like awesome running music, their video on youtube has the kind of beat I like to have going when I run!

You rock!

4. calculus Guest

calculus

Blood Red Shoes are coming to my town in October, playing in a really tiny club. I'm really looking forward to it. It's a 14+ show so I am taking the teenage daughter and her friend - I expect they will make me stand at the back!

5. jonnylink macrumors 6502

smog, the fiery furnaces, mirah, the mountain goats, Feist, Broadcast... maybe you already know about these though.

6. henerzfinalcut macrumors newbie

henerzfinalcut

if you're in the mood for pop/indie rock. try the band from first to last.
    they started out all screamo, then went a little lighter,
    great music, won't let you down

7. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

White Stripes?

I'm kind of lukewarm on them, but my kids love them.

Not sure what you like Jazz-wise, but I'd recommend just about anything on the Tzadik label (John Zorn's label). I especially like Susie Ibarra. You might also try Cuong Vu (I can't remember if he's on Tzadik or not).

For funkier stuff: Soulive, Masters of Groove, Four80East. I think all of them are available on emusic.

Edit: Ohh... I just realized this thread is about 15 Months old!