Need Some Network Help

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by b-rad g, Apr 28, 2011.

1. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

Here's my setup.

Time Capsule--->Express (joined wirelessly)--->Mac Mini, Macbook Air and 2 iPhone 4 (all connected by WiFi)

My problem is my Mini won't stay connected to the 5ghz frequency. Is there any way to "force" it to connect to the 5ghz?

Also, I tried to set my network to "n" only using radio mode 802.11n (5ghz) - 802.11 (2.4ghz) but when my brother and wife come over they can't connect their iPhones to my Guest network because they have a 3g and 3gs. So I set it back to Automatic radio mode that it was set to when I first got the TC.

I have seen where some have said to make a separate 5ghz and 2.4ghz network, but I use my iPhone as a iTunes remote and for AirTunes and since the iPhone can't connect to the 5ghz network it wouldn't work as such would it?

Anyone have any suggestions or know of a setting i"m over looking?

2. b-rad g thread starter macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

Anybody......I know there are some knowlegable network people on here. I have searched tons of post about it and can't find any answers.

3. lexvo macrumors 65816

What do you mean by your Mini won't stay connected to the 5ghz frequency? Does the connection drop when you use it or does the Mini switch to 2.4ghz when you wake/reboot it?
    When the latter is the case then the 2.4ghz signal is probably stronger than the 5ghz (my iMac does the same).

If I understand it correctly, you can't have a guest network when you configure for 5ghz and 2.4ghz simultaneously.

When you make separate 5ghz and 2.4ghz networks, the iphone should connect to the 2.4 ghz (works with me).

4. b-rad g thread starter macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

I can get the Mini to connect to the 5ghz by turning off Airport on the Mini and then turning Airport back on, but after a while it will switch to 2.4ghz by itself.

Ok, so if I have a Guest network set up and active then I you can't run 5 and 2.4 simultaneously?

Yes I get that I can make 2 networks fr each frequency, but if the phones are on 2.4ghz and the Mini and Air are on the 5ghz will I be able to still use the phone as an iTunes remote?

Thanks for the reply.

5. b-rad g thread starter macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

Now that I think about it, if this was true how come I can get the Mini and the Air to connect to 5ghz? Seems like if when a Guest network is active and that "deactivates" the simultaneous dual band then I shouldn't be able to connect to the 5ghz in the first place.

IDK I'm just trying to figure this out.

6. lexvo, Apr 29, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2011

lexvo macrumors 65816

I am not sure about this, but I think this happens: your mini connects to you main network on 5ghz. But your iPhone will also try to connect to your main network and not the guest network. At that moment your main network switches to 2.4ghz because the iPhone doesn't support 5ghz. Then the Mini is also forced to switch to 2.4ghz.

Yes, AFAIK, the Time Capsule has two bands. Either you have your main network on one band and a guest network on the other, or you have one band on 5ghz and the other on 2.4ghz

Yes, no problem.

7. lexvo macrumors 65816

See the previous post: the Time Capsule has two bands. Either you have your main network on one band and a guest network on the other, or you have one band on 5ghz and the other on 2.4ghz

Simultaneous means that you use two bands.

8. b-rad g thread starter macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

Ok. Thanks for the help and clarification.

I am going to try the dual network setup and see how everything plays together.

9. b-rad g thread starter macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

I got it all setup with a separate 5ghz and 2.4ghz SSID with radio mode on the TC set to 802.11n only (5ghz) - 802.11a/b/g so that my Kodak 5250 wireless printer could join to the network. So far everything seems to be working together so thank you very much for you help lexvo.

10. lexvo macrumors 65816