Need some opinions on a purchase

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dand1996, Feb 12, 2011.

1. dand1996 macrumors regular

Hey guys-

I would appreciate any insight...

I have the opportunity to buy a new MBP + cinema display at a realm ice discount in the next week. The catch is I Hafta make the purchase in the next week to get the discount and I know that MBP updates are coming.

I use my mac for web browsing and some heavy zipping and unzipping of large files. I do not have a need for the MBP updates coming in the next months performance wise but investment wise it would be better to not buy year old technology.

So the question is, buy a MBP knowing an update is coming and get a nice discount, or wait for the update and pay retail?

Thanks for any insight.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

What MBP is it? How much is the discount? If you can save hundreds, then I would just get them now. You can always sell the MBP and buy a new one IF the update offers something you really need or want. If you get a good discount, then you won't even have to pay that much for the upgrade.

3. leefisher macrumors newbie

If you are worried about the refresh, then why don't you purchase the MacBook Pro at a discount and then sell it immediately before the refresh. Hopefully you'll make a profit on the sale and that can go towards your savings for an updated MBP

4. dand1996 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys..

I'm looking at the 15" entry level MBP, strictly for it's performance not it's screen size. If I could get the 13" in an i5 I would prefer that...

I would be saving anywhere between 20-30%.

I will def get a cinema display cuz they are so freaking sexy.