Need some opinions on a tuff decision figured why not here

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ddollar, Apr 20, 2008.

1. ddollar macrumors member

ddollar

I am graduating high school this year and i have a tuff decision to make i can either go to a city university for a year and then transfer to a State university in a year or maybe a private school. Or i could go to a cuny half the year and then accept my spring entrance in to hofstra university. Obviously Hofstra is the better school but it cost $35k a year and i dont have that kind of money. Is it better to go to the school i want to go to and be in debt or go to a school i am not crazy about and hopefully get in to a school i like more in a year and half some $, what would you guys do? Have any of you been in this spot before are u happy with your choice?

2. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

a lot changes when you go to college. especially in your brain. you really start to understand what is really important to you. go to the community college/ city school for a year or two and see if the school and esp the 35 k is THAT important to you. to me, yes schools can help later on down the road, but its how you use what you learned in school that really counts. no matter the school, if you do your best you will go far.

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Go to the university that offers the best balance of reputation, and (low) cost. The university doesn't really matter so much, as long as it's not bottom-rung.

Also, it's "tough", not "tuff". I know you probably know how to spell "tough" correctly, but the idea of you going to a good university, while spelling like that in ANY situation, drives me crazy.

4. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

here's what I did, I went to community college for a year and racked up credits that would transfer over as geneds and then I went out of state to another college and even though I'm a freshman I'll technically be a junior by winter break of my sophomore year. Trust me get the crappy gen ed courses out of the way and then transfer in. My friend goes to hofstra and loves it. Meanwhile I'm down here in good old Harrisonburg, VA at James Madison Uni

5. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

6. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Go to Truman State University.

For 4 years I think my total came out to $38,000 :D
    Of course that's instate tuition... but out of state can't be too much more.

And it's a decent school, good programs, LSP, the works.

truman.edu

7. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

A fellow Long Islander!

I would honestly just go to Nassau for your first 2 years to get the bulk, if not all, of your gen ed requirements out of the way. NCC is one the best community colleges in country. (Though it's reputation as the 13th grade preceeds it here on LI).

After you've done your 2 years, go to Hofstra or Adelphi. They'll accept all the credits you've taken at NCC.

Hope that helps!

8. Sideonecincy macrumors 6502

I didn't care about my college my senior year of high school...actually didn't even plan on going. My parents pushed me into a local community college, where I found a major within the first few terms. I ended up in video production, loved it and made some great friends. After graduating, I transferred into a bachelors degree at a University of Cincinnati and am a 2nd year junior now (5 year degree). After this, I am transferring to grad school. Point is, community college is what kept me in college...it turned my life around.

Community colleges are well worth the lower cost and you are able to transfer into another college without coming in as a freshman, more debt and already having credits finished.

9. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

Learn grammar and sentence structure. After that, I'll tell you where to go to college.

EDIT: And as for my opinion on the issue, I'd say go to a CC if that means you getting into a college or university that you would like to be at more than Hofstra.

10. ddollar thread starter macrumors member

ddollar

I wouldnt be going to community college i got in to Queens College and thats where i would go for a year and transfer to a SUNY like stonybrook or Binghamton