Need some opinions on CASE selection!

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by enemi, Nov 21, 2010.

1. enemi macrumors regular

enemi

Hi Guys,

I'm new here, just joined the forums today.
    Have been through most of the threads posted in this section and also spent countless hours watching reviews and roundups on youtube regarding cases.
    I don't have an awful lot of budget to spend on a really top case, so looking to get the most out of a case, that excels in all categories; such as protection, looks and fit.

I have sort of shortened my list down to the following;

Rearth Ringke
    CaseCrown
    Otterbox Commuter - Bulky?
    Speck Candyshell - Flaking of rubber part?
    SGP Neo Hybrid EX

Have I missed out on any cases that seem to be favourites in this community?
    Also, can you guys just give your opinions on which you might favour from the list here?

Thanks for your help!

2. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

Here are my opinions.

Rearth Ringke - Kind of stylish, but the silicone is very loose.
    CaseCrown - Extremely stylish, not much protection.
    Otterbox Commuter - A little bulky, but sexy and has amazing protection.
    Speck Candyshell - Great protection, madly flakes.
    SGP Neo Hybrid EX - Sleek, sexy, not much protection.

Winner: OtterBox Commuter

3. enemi thread starter macrumors regular

enemi

Thanks for the prompt reply Austin!

I was actually quite fixed on getting the Speck Candyshell, until I read about the flaking problem.
    After that, I decided that the Otterbox Commuter would be my next best bet, however, I have then read reviews about the other cases.

I think protection is important, however, I do not participate or take part in any vigorous activity through the day.

I actually really like all of the cases on my list and would like to purchase all if them if I could, but sadly, that's not the case.

Would like to hear more opinions!
    Thanks

4. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

Your welcome! Also, I do not use my phone in any vigorous activity as well and I think you should try out this case. It's sleek, stylish, and it provides great protection. It comes with port covers, amazing screen protectors and a bunch of other goodies. It runs for 19.99$. I have it in green, but it also comes in black, white, red, blue, orange, and pink.

SwitchEasy TRIM

5. enemi thread starter macrumors regular

enemi

Ah cool! I'll take a look at that case.
    I haven't seen that one being reviewed yet. ;D

6. missygal Guest

missygal

That looks like a cool case! May order one!

7. enemi thread starter macrumors regular

enemi

I'm actually leaning more towards the Otterbox Commuter at the moment, but the Rearth keeps lingering in my mind ;P

I'm also very attracted to the designs of casecrown glider and the SGP EX.

The SwitchEasy Trim looks good too, but I'm not a big fan of the side edges.
    :p

8. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

Check out my review I just added about the Rearth case. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1051613

9. enemi thread starter macrumors regular

enemi

Thanks for the link fishmd ;D
    I read the review and it seems that the Ringke is indeed a very good case!
    However, I'm just a little worried that it may not provide the best of protection compared to other cases.
    What other cases have you tried before the Ringke and does the Ringke rank better than the previous you might have used?
    Cheers!

10. Meltdownblitz macrumors 65816

I have the SGP Neo Hybrid Ex and I love it, I've been through many cases, and this is by far my favorite one, keep it into consideration. Heres a few photos for you:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. enemi thread starter macrumors regular

enemi

Wow, thanks for those pictures!
    It looks stunning.

How does it feel in your hand?
    Is it bulky?
    Also, does the material and the backing get dirty easily, seeing as it is white?

It looks awesome though! :)

12. Meltdownblitz macrumors 65816

Its Not bulky at all. Its only a bumper case with a SGP Leather skin, it barely adds any thickness to the phone. One of my biggest things I don't like in a case is the bulkiness. I'm pretty careful with my phone and haven't dropped it and don't plan on it which is why I use a bumper case. If you tend to be a little more clumsy I wouldn't go with this case as it does not offer much protection.

In my hand it feels awesome, when I FIRST installed the Hybrid Ex I hated it and almost sent the case back to SGP because I felt as if it was way too slippery, I came from using a Case-mate Hula which was very grippy. After a week or so I got used to the texture and grip of the case and loved it and haven't thought about changing my case since.

As far as the white leather skin, surprisingly it is still bright white as it was the day I received it. I thought for sure it would get dirty within a few days or so, if not for sure in a few weeks. But so far it has proved me wrong and has stayed the same bright white color from when I received it. Since I've had it, I've seen like one or 2 dirty marks on it and I just wet a paper towel and it just wiped right off.

Hope this helps.

13. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

I honestly have a ridiculous number of cases, and so have tried and own many of the ones you mentioned in your original post. I have two speck candyshells, but almost never use them due to the flaking of the rubber. Also, they tend to scratch up very easily and quickly. The moonsickle color is alright at hiding scratches, but the flaking is just ridiculous.

I also have an otterbox commuter. This is a good casse, but the silicone around the edges does tend to collect lint. It protect excellently however and is basically the same in size as the candyshell.

I like the Ringke case as it is not too bulky, and I think adds some decent protection. You saw my review. It really is a good case, but different than the others in design and function.

I would also check out the SGP neohybrid cases. I have one of the matte series ones. It is a really solid feeling case, thin, and I think adds good protection. Also comes with one of the best screen shields on the market.

14. enemi thread starter macrumors regular

enemi

Thank you for the recommendation guys.

I am currently finalizing my decision and choosing between the SGP Neo Hybrid EX, Ringke and Otterbox Commuter.

I might get the Ringke for sure, and then an extra case between the SGP vs Otterbox. :D

15. jameswilliam macrumors newbie

I have two spots candyshells, but almost never use them to peel off the rubber. In addition, they tend to scratch easily and quickly. Color is no problem moonsickle hiding scratches, but only absurd spalling. It really is a good example, but higher than the difference in the design and functionality.

16. enemi thread starter macrumors regular

enemi

I think I might decide to go with the SGP Neo Hybrid EX finally as it has really impressed me.
    I didn't really understand the concept behind the case at first, but it seems like it does not have a backing?

When you purchase the case, you get a silicone cover for the phone, and then a bumper looking case around the edges?

They do provide you with 2 screen protectors, for the front and back.

Am I correct to say so?

The pictures provided above (The white leather backing) it's purchased separately right?

Cheers.

17. Meltdownblitz macrumors 65816

Yes sir to all your questions! :)

18. enemi thread starter macrumors regular

enemi

Cool!
    Thanks for the reply ;D
    I have read through the whole SGP Neo Hybrid EX thread, and although there are some pro and con opinions, I still think it's a pretty good case overall!
    I will order through ebay now ^^

19. Meltdownblitz macrumors 65816

Awesome, let us know how you like it, photos would be good too! :)

20. RebeccaL macrumors 6502a

RebeccaL

Where did you got the dock connector cover? The review for the case and offcial site don't mention it.