Need Some Opinions On New Machine

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jlin615, Dec 28, 2010.

1. jlin615 macrumors regular

I have a late-2006 15" MBP (2.33Ghz/4GB RAM/500GB 7200RPM HD) and I've had it since it was first released. Lately, I've been constantly looking to get a new high end MBP or Mac Mini, but I just can't seem to pull the trigger on the purchase! I mean my current MBP is running fine and it's well taken car of, except Parallel Desktop doesn't run as swifty as I wish. I feel my machine is pretty ancient compare to the newer models I see people are carrying around and it's been four years since I got a new computer. I'm now a married guy and can't spurge for new toys like I used to four years ago. Is it time for a upgrade to something new or is it I just want a new toy?

2. alongston macrumors newbie

If your old one works great, then I would stick with it. I know what you mean about having a family and it not being something that you need at the time. Look at it this way, when it comes time for you to get a new computer, you will then be ahead of everyone carrying around this model and be able to take advantage of even better features.

3. Jakedono macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Mate I would get it. Dot bother with the mini. Get the pro. Much better features and is portable. If u don't want to spend too much money you can go out and get a good quality second hand

4. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

You may feel like you are driving a dinosaur, but take pride in that it is a fast dinosaur. Your MBP has virtually the same specs as the current 13 MBP. In your case, I would definitely wait to see what the next revision brings and personally I would wait until the revision after the coming one as it gives you time to save up money slowly. If your computer is running slower, wipe it and do a fresh install, although it sounds like you are just getting the 'new computer syndrome'. No worries, we're all afflicted with it ;)

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I have the exact same laptop, and like you it is well taken care of. There is nothing wrong with mine, but I am itching to get the new one when they are introduced in 2011.

One difference between us is that 4 years ago I was single like you, but today I am still single unlike you! :D

I just want a new toy... I can easily get another few years out of mine.

6. chipz macrumors member

Need Some Opinions On New Machine

I would stay with your current machine as long as it is running well. You are not that far behind the latest and greatest, so live with it. You can improve the speed of your current machine by erasing the HDD and reinstalling the OS and then install only the programs you really need. If you have a lot of programs you don't use often, or at all, don't reinstall them as they slow down your computer. You might also consider upgrading the RAM in your computer. There's nothing like plenty of RAM to spark a computer to running like a super machine. Don't go with the Mac Mini. Although it is small and fairly powerful, by the time you add in the monitor and mouse and keyboard, the price can easily surpass that of the MBP!

7. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

hold on to what you have now and just keep saving your $. new MBP's will be out in early 2011 according to the rumors.

8. jlin615 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you all for you for your inputs! I guess I'll keep my MBP for a little longer, perhaps another 6 month while I save up a fund for a new machine.

A Mac Mini was one of choices is because I rarely take the MBP out of my home and 99% of the time is hooked up to my 30" ACD. Plus I was really tired of cycling the battery once a month. Today's top spec of Mac Mini's is a decent upgrade from my MBP and of course the price is much better than the MBP's. If I go this route, I'll probably keep this MBP as my portable machine.

My other choice was getting a 15" MBP again and then sell my current one. Reason for MBP is because of POWER and FEATURES.

9. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

If you aren't moving around much, I would at least check out the 27 inch iMac. My Dad just bought one of them and it is a mean machine. We also have the 23 or whatever the last gen flagship was and that thing is pretty fast also. You will get better bang for your buck with the MM or iMac.