Need some Opinions please . . .

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by WizardHunt, Feb 8, 2008.

1. WizardHunt macrumors 68000

WizardHunt

Ok, I am about to buy a Apple TV and I have a rather large library of about 600 plus DVD's and would like to place as many as I can on the Apple TV system setup. I plan to buy the 160 GB version but was wondering if it really matters if I buy the 160GB or the 40GB version as neither will allow me to put even half my movies on the drive.

I guess I plan to put them on a external HD and use thru firewire, using the function( holding down Option while copying into itunes) so that I can use a external HD. So when I use the Apple TV then I just need to make sure that my External drive is turned on. I plan to get either a 500 GB or 1 TB for the external drive. Whatever will hold most of my movies. So my question that I need your opinion on it this:

Does it really matter if I buy a 40 GB ATV, or a 160 GB ATV if I plan to use a External HD anyway?

Part II to the question: What size would you think I would need for the external HD 500GB or 1 TB to hold 600+ DVD's?

Thanks in advance.

2. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

If money isn't an issue, I'd just get the biggest of both just to be safe.

As far as the external drive, the 500GB will probably be too small - most of my DVDs I have on my computer are over 1GB each.

3. jbellanca macrumors 6502

It won't matter to you, save your money and get the 40GB. And DEFINITELY get the 1 TB external. Depending on the quality you choose, you're talking 1.4-2.5 GB per movie. (Potentially more if you use AC3 audio after Take 2 is out.)