Need some phone help

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SnowLeopard2008, Feb 13, 2009.

1. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Ok, I couldn't find a better forum to post this, so I choose this one. Problem is that I have an AT&T BlackBerry Pearl 8110 (w/GPS). It is unlocked for all GSM networks. So I received it today from the eBay seller. I popped in my T-Mobile SIM card and turned it on. It displayed invalid SIM card at the top. How is this possible? Is there a way to switch the network to T-Mobile? I tried scanning for networks, but it said the scan was aborted or something. Anyone purchase an AT&T BlackBerry 8110 unlocked but uses it with T-Mobile? If so, how did you get the phone to work?

2. jk111 macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure that means the phone is actually not unlocked and the person who sold it to you has ripped you off (assuming that you paid extra for the "unlocked" phone.

Not sure if that is correct, someone else probably knows more.

3. SnowLeopard2008 thread starter macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Hmm I would believe that, but first the seller is not just a single individual, it is a company based in Hollywood, CA. Second, they have 98.6% positive feedback, and is a powerseller. They have been selling since October of 2001... very long time.

4. jk111 macrumors regular

They could have accidently shipped you the wrong unit.... Does the company have a phone number you could call and see?

5. SnowLeopard2008 thread starter macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

That sounds possible. I recall that I did not get an email confirming shipment and not tracking number. Maybe they accidentally switched units. Yes, they do have a phone number. I'm going to have my dad call them tomorrow and check. My old phone is broken, and the landline is currently being used by my mom.

6. jk111 macrumors regular

7. SnowLeopard2008 thread starter macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Turns out the phone was locked. I looked in options, advanced options, sim card, pressed a few keys and go the network active displaying. in blackberries, that means it's locked to the carrier. So my dad sent an email to the eBay seller and has yet to receive a response. the seller is a company and they operate from mon - fri from 8am to 1pm. Anyway, so my dad called AT&T customer service to see if they could provide the unlock code. The guy was really nice and gave us the unlock code. He also walked us through the process of entering the code (I knew how to do it, but wanted him to verify).

So my blackberry pearl works fine now. I put some music on the media card as well as videos. All I need is a GPS map application other than BlackBerry Maps. I went to download it only to discover that BlackBerry Maps was only compatible with BlackBerry OS 4.1 and 4.2. My OS was the latest 4.3 so I need an alternative. I've heard positive reviews about trekbuddy, anyone know others or if trekbuddy is good? I don't have a data plan with my phone, so I can't download maps through data. I need an application that has maps preloaded (US only is good enough since I live there) and preferably free.