Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NickD

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 25, 2007
Colorado
I "DJ" at quite a few parties and would really like to go down to the basics of my PB G4 and some nice speakers, which I think would work well for what I do.

Problem is, I don't know what kind of speakers to get. I need some that aren't too expensive, sound decent, and will fill a room well.

Do you guys have any tips or suggestions?

NickD

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
I need some that aren't too expensive, sound decent, and will fill a room well.

Generally what size of room? Ever outdoors in small settings? How crowded or busy? Listening or dance levels? Deep basslines like dub? How much money have you got to spend?

How portable or robust do they have to be? Do you have a vehicle? Someone to help carry? What amplifier/s are you going to use?

NickD

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 25, 2007
Colorado
These speakers are going to be used for very simple purposes, mainly indoors (probably only indoors) for dancing primarily. Size is not that big of an issue. I just need to be able to take my PB to parties, plug in the speakers, and fill the room up well enough that people can dance (and the quality isn't crappy).

I'd like to keep price range pretty minimal; probably in the 200 USD or less.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
You won't find anything for 200 USD. Make it 400, and you might be talking about a single active speaker, which won't be great.

You need to specify more though. For example, for £180 UK you can get a pair of speakers which would easily fill a 5m x 5m room with decent volume music. However, increase that size to 10m x 10m, and you're looking at spending £800 UK and more...

People think decent speakers can be bough cheaply, but speakers actually have an incredibly difficult job...

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
Klipsch's Promedia l...

While not the nicest looking set, they're certainly loud and won't disappoint.

Arg! A single 6.5" sub-woofer isn't physically able to move enough volume of air to produce decent bass, let alone achieve anything near a "room filling" experience (even a closet-sized room)... ;)

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
A sound system that runs off 2 D-cell batteries... room filling... Right!

Er... a sound system that runs off six D-cell batteries. Not two. I've got one. They also run from the mains. And yeah, they pack a punch for their size.

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
Arg! A single 6.5" sub-woofer isn't physically able to move enough volume of air to produce decent bass, let alone achieve anything near a "room filling" experience (even a closet-sized room)... ;)

I'm in agreement but considering the OP's budget is around $200 USD...I can only guess that the OP is maybe deejaying at college dorms/apartments.

NickD

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 25, 2007
Colorado
Gymnut said:
I'm in agreement but considering the OP's budget is around $200 USD...I can only guess that the OP is maybe deejaying at college dorms/apartments.

That's what it'll be. High school/college parties. Dorm and apartment size spaces.

JackArc

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2006
Orange County, CA
"Yo NickD, bring your DJ gear over to my dorm so we can dance!"

I don't ever see that happening.

You really only need a DJ for third-party venues and for that you need professional equipment in which they/you would hire a professional. For HS parties, what can a couple mix cds and a stereo not do that a PowerBook plus some speakers can? Heck, if your in a dorm room (Imho, partying in a dorm room is the lamest/stupidest thing you can do), the people living in the dorm room have a computer and speakers and can just play music through there own computer/speakers. Plus with apartments/dorms, you have to be really careful about sound so filling a room with high-end speakers is ridiculous unless your okay with dealing with public safety and noise complaints from the Police. Just my opinion, you may want to spend that money elsewhere.

operator

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2006
Canada
I also use the apple hifi. It's volume and quality are better than you might expect. It seems really durable, and has handles built in for carrying it around. For small apartment parties, it might fit the bill.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Problem is, I don't know what kind of speakers to get. I need some that aren't too expensive, sound decent, and will fill a room well.

Pick any 2. You can't get all three.

You don't get dance-party-worthy bass without a largish cabinet and some wattage behind it. Some portable speakers do OK as long as you don't mind having to imagine the bass below 70 Hz or so. It's physics gets you on this, the cabinet volume and speaker size impose a lower limit on the bass response.

NickD

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 25, 2007
Colorado
OK. Well how about this. I have a good amount of music gear. How would it sound running through a Bass or Keyboard amp? No sound coloring there and a well rounded sound.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
OK. Well how about this. I have a good amount of music gear. How would it sound running through a Bass or Keyboard amp? No sound coloring there and a well rounded sound.

Do you mean a combo amp (amp and speaker in one box)?
A bass combo amp usually does have significant coloring.

It all depends on the particular amp and speakers. Full range recorded sound can sound cr@&tacular through an instrument amplifier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.