Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xvigauge

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2016
Mulberry, Florida
New to the forum so I hope this post is in the right place. I just bought a new MacBook Pro Sierra OS. My cheap HP printer would not work on it so I am currently looking for a new one. I found one that I like, the HP OfficeJet 4650. I know it is not an expensive printer, but I really don't want to spend over $100 as I actually do very little printing. From what I can find, the HP 4650 is compatible with the Sierra OS, but I may need to download some installation software from HP's website, which is ok with me. Is this all true? Will the HP 4650 work for me?
xvigauge

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Just a thought, but...

...before you give up on the old printer, have you tried some "alternative print drivers", such as "GIMP" (I -think- they call it that)...?

IF you do relatively little printing, and IF you can live without color, you might consider a cheaper laser printer. I've had good luck with Brother.

I'd suggest one with:
- a straight-through paper path (for envelopes)
- an ethernet connection (as well as USB)
- wireless printing (if available)

JohnDS

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2015
I second the suggestion of getting Brother. They have had excellent Mac support over the years and in my experience are almost bullet proof. If you don't need colour, a laser printer will be much faster and cheaper in the long run.

xvigauge

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2016
Mulberry, Florida
Thanks guys for your prompt responses. I was able to get the old printer to work, and it works great. As long as it is working, I might as well keep it and not get a new one until this one fails or breaks down for some reason. Anyway, this is what I did: This week I talked to 3 different Geek Squad guys and one HP person and they all thought that because the MacBook recognized the printer yet it would not print, that the printer was somehow not compatible with Sierra OS. Being an old guy from the school of hard knocks, I know that you should always start with the simplest of basics before you give up on a solution to almost anything. So, after exploring the HP site, I kept seeing printer downloadable software. Not one of these help Geeks said anything about start up software. They all wanted to over think the problem and start about 5 steps ahead of that. So, I downloaded the software, followed their printed instructions, and lo and behold, the thing works and prints. I would have started with the simplest of basics myself, but at the time, I didn't know what the basics were. Thanks again for you help and suggestions.
xvigauge

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.