Need some quick advice! (Second display for my MacBook)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Buschmaster, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Buschmaster macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

Hi guys,
    I have a nice 22" monitor arriving in the mail today to go along with my (white) MacBook. I bought the Mini-DVI to DVI adapter because I read that DVI was better, however, have a look here to see my monitor:
    Display on Newegg

Just now I'm noticing that it only comes with a VGA cable and no DVI cable.

My question is, will it look that much better that it's worth it for me to run to Best Buy and get a DVI cable or should I stick with the VGA and run to Best Buy and exchange my cable for the VGA cable?

I want it to look as good as possible, and if it makes a difference, I'm getting the aluminum MB this summer and even though I'd have to buy another adapter it would be nice to just get the DVI cable now if I play on getting it then, right?

Edit: After reading the reviews mentioning DVI it seems like DVI is way better, so I suppose I'll go get another cable. But I'd still love to know/see the difference simply for education purposes :)

2. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

i'd suggest staying put and buying a dvi cable from ebay or from monoprice or meritline (all .com)

DVI is nice, and i think i remember being able to tell the difference between a vga and dvi on my mac mini (the G4)

don't ever buy an accessory from a brick or mortar store. absolute highway robbery. even if it is on sale. (especially cables/adapters)

your cable should cost no more than $7, shipped!

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

DVI is a purely digital signal, so the picture is much clearer and is reproduced on a pixel by pixel basis. VGA is analog, so it's somewhat... fuzzy(?) comparatively. It's also not capable of resolutions quite as high, though that's not always a big issue.

jW

4. Buschmaster thread starter macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

That makes sense. So is it almost as big of a difference as between Digital TV and analog TV? Thank goodness I have the EyeTV 250 Plus!:)

5. Buschmaster thread starter macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

Another quick question which I'm trying to find the answer to by searching as well but not having as much luck...

The help at the store said this DVI-D cable (which was $10, so I was like: score) would work with the Apple Mini-DVI to DVI adaptor cable, anyone want to confirm this to be true before I open the box? Better be quick, I'm running out of patience!

Edit: Works just fine. ;)