Need Some Quick Help Deciding between two iMac Models

Discussion in 'iMac' started by shawntp, Oct 23, 2011.

1. shawntp macrumors newbie

Hey folks, I am about to order a new 27" iMac from MacMall. It looks like they have the 2011 refresh as well as one model prior with a faster processor for less. I know this is subjective so I was wondering what people more in tune with the updates would recommend.

MC784LL/A for $1500
    Apple 27" iMac Quad-Core Intel Core i7 2.93GHz, 4GB RAM, 1TB Hard Drive, ATI Radeon HD 5750, SuperDrive, Apple Wireless Keyboard and Magic Mouse (Closeout Model - Installed w/ Mac OS Snow Leopard - FREE Upgrade to Lion)

or

MC813LL/A for $1600
    Apple 27" iMac Quad-Core Intel Core i5 2.7GHz, 4GB RAM, 1TB Hard Drive, AMD Radeon HD 6770M, SuperDrive, Thunderbolt ports, Mac OS X Lion, Apple Wireless Keyboard and Magic Mouse (MC813LL/A)

As far as I understand these are nearly the same but the first option (1500) was manufactured earlier, has a faster processor, has a revision earlier graphics card, no thunderbolt, and is $100 cheaper

The second option (1600) is the 2011 update and has thunderbolt/all the latest but a lower standard processor option.

The sales guys was steering me to go to the $100 cheaper option saying it was essentially a faster computer for $100 less without thunderbolt. I figure I would come here to get opinions for a final decision.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Pretty much exactly what the salesperson said. I'm surprised that he suggested the cheaper one. But it will be better in basically every way other than thunderbolt.