Need some quick JB up to 4.2

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by digitalduck, Dec 10, 2010.

1. digitalduck macrumors regular

Guys searched forums and just need some specific help.

Ok, im moving to 4.2 and was trying to use tiny umbrella for the first time. My SSH's are already saved on Cydia but was the point ot TU to save the baseband or just your SSH's

Im getting that error that my host file is non writable so it wont start the server... it did save my files however...

So do i need to fix the TU error first before trying this? Or is it just a SSH save and not the baseband? If not do i need to do something else?

Also, once that is complete can I use limera1n?

Thanks guys!

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Edit your host files again but save them to your desktop (without an extension). Then replace the host file you just made with the one that already exists.

3. digitalduck thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, problem is is that i dont know what the host file is missing though?

4. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Your host file should look like this after editing, so iTunes can communicate with Cydia.

Attached Files:

5. digitalduck thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm same error... ive flushed my dns so shouldnt have to restart..

6. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Did you save a new host to your desktop and replace the old one?

7. digitalduck thread starter macrumors regular

Yup, moved original to desktop and created a copy, named it "hosts.txt" and moved it back into folder with new entry..

##
    # Host Database
    #
    # local is used to configure the loopback interface
    # when the system is booting. Don not change this entry.
    ##
    127.0.0.1 localhost
    255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
    ::1 localhost
    fe80::1%lo0 localhost
    74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

8. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Ok. Still getting the same error? The host file shouldn't have an extension.

9. digitalduck thread starter macrumors regular

Awesome. that was it! Thanks removed extension and it works.. so now restore to 4.2 and use limera1n?

10. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Do you have the shsh files saved? If you do then you can restore. I'm not sure LimeRa1n will work on 4.2

11. digitalduck thread starter macrumors regular

since the JB's have been out for a bit now, what would you recommend... greenpoison?

Yes I have it saved...i still restore through itunes same as alwasy if im upgrading to 4.2 correct?

12. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Yeah. 4.2 or 4.2.1?

13. digitalduck thread starter macrumors regular

4.2 im going from 4.01 so i think that will be enough for now.

14. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Then you should be fine. I don't think Cydia was able to save the shsh for 4.2 and it skipped to 4.2.1 because Apple released 4.2.1 rather quick.

Your Cydia says you have 4.2 saved?

15. digitalduck thread starter macrumors regular

16. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

If you're on an official carrier and don't need the unlock just update in iTunes to the official 4.2.1

To jailbreak then use Redns0w. The new Redsn0w is a tethered version, meaning every time your iPhone reboots or the battery dies, you need to run redsn0w in tethered mode to turn your iPhone back on.

Or you can go to 4.1, jailbreak with LimeRa1n and still remain untethered.

17. digitalduck thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, i think that was my biggest question regarding all of this is back kin my original post i was wondering about the baseband.. id like to preserve it. im on att but im one of those that like the resale factor also...i know it might not matter a year from now, but you never know. so 4.2 and limerain?

Thanks for all of your help...!!!

18. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

PwnageTool preserves the baseband (Mac only). 4.2 isn't being signed anymore, so the only choice is to go 4.2.1

19. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Currently there is not an Official way to keep your baseband when you go to 4.2.1, Apple implemented a baseband check on 4.2.1 that crash the update if the BB doesn't match!....TU developer have said that the TU cannot kick out of recovery on 4.2.1 anymore. however there have been some report of people keeping theirs BB after an Upgrade (instead of a restore), but these are special cases and as i said not "official" way to do it yet.

20. digitalduck thread starter macrumors regular

Isnt being signed anymore? Meaning itnues wont let let upgrade to it? Or did I misunderstand that? When i sync it says new version available 4.2 but i also have the firmware on my desktop as well..

21. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Once Apple releases a new iOS they stop signing the previous version. If iTunes is saying you can restore to 4.2, then I'm sure your iPhone will go to 4.2 instead of 4.2.1

22. digitalduck thread starter macrumors regular

cool, almost ready...do i need to do anything with my baseband.. or is that over... wasnt TU going t opreserve it...i know that was the big thing months ago...

23. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

TU only preserves the baseband for the iPhone 4 (when upgrading from 4.0.x to 4.1)

PwnageTool preserves the baseband when you make a custom ipsw. It can only be done a on Mac though. Or you can download a custom ipsw from a website you can trust.

24. digitalduck thread starter macrumors regular

AHh ok so i must have misunderstood it back then or understood it but it doesn't matter now...ah ok.. weal if i cant preserve the baseband for a future unlock for joe schmo them i guess im all set...sound about right?

Thanks!

25. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Yeah, you're good to go.