Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

breh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2010
OK! so im a die hard apple fan, always will be.
at my moms house i have her a motorola modem and new airport extreme with old ones as extenders.

im moving out soon and wondering if i should venture out and try something new that will help improve my gaming addiction by giving me better signal/speed.

So, heres my options:

Setup 1:
Apple Airport Extreme (Router)
Motorola SB6183 (Modem)
Apple Airport Express (Extender)

Setup 2:
Netgear Nighthawk X6 AC3200 (Router)
Netgear CM500 (Modem)
Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 (Extender)

Thats what im looking at so far! also the one downside with the apple setup is the express is not AC it is only N.... so theirs that! haha.

any questions or help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!!

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Why not

OK! so im a die hard apple fan, always will be.
at my moms house i have her a motorola modem and new airport extreme with old ones as extenders.

im moving out soon and wondering if i should venture out and try something new that will help improve my gaming addiction by giving me better signal/speed.

So, heres my options:

Setup 1:
Apple Airport Extreme (Router)
Motorola SB6183 (Modem)
Apple Airport Express (Extender)

Setup 2:
Netgear Nighthawk X6 AC3200 (Router)
Netgear CM500 (Modem)
Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 (Extender)

Thats what im looking at so far! also the one downside with the apple setup is the express is not AC it is only N.... so theirs that! haha.

any questions or help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!!

Just get this and have it as an all in one for $100???

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-Arche...1429111631&sr=8-1&keywords=AC+wireless+router

breh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2010
2 things:
money is not an issue
and usually the 2 n 1 combo for routers and modems lag more and it messes with signal. ive tried one before and did not like it.
plus the one you mentioned is considerably weaker than the two options i mentioned. thank you though!

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012

Because getting an all-in-one is a HORRIBLE idea. Well, it may be an OK idea from a power cable and connections standpoint but combo devices are never really good on an individual level.

For the OP:
I'm partial to Motorola modems, and the SB6141 was The Wirecutter's pick for best cable modem, I have this modem. The 6183 was their pick if you HAVE to have the extra channels for more speed or want to be ready for possible ISP upgrades in the future but the modem will pay for itself in a year or so, so upgrading in the future couldn't be too painful if you want to save money now.

Look around on that site, they also have picks for WiFi routers and extenders. Curious, is there a reason you think you need an extender? My flat is 1000 sq. ft., I have no trouble getting signal throughout with a Netgear 802.11n dual-band router, I can even get signal outside and 50-60 feet away (the router is near the window in that direction).

breh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2010
yeah ive been testing out the asus rt2400 and for whatever reason it does not cover my whole house. dunno if its something thick in the walls or what but if that thing doesnt cover my house then i d k what will. im just not a fan of asus interface or the router all together so thats getting returned and these are the options ive liked best so far!

ehrens

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2013
the 651
I have the AirPort Extreme AC and a SurfBoard 6141. and the range is actually pretty good with the new router versus the old hotplate model. Our Comcast drop is in my basement office at the front of our house and the router is co-located with the modem, and it's able to hit our bedroom on the main level through duct work and piping about 120 feet away on the other side of the house without a noticeable loss in signal. I use an Express extender strictly for an IP camera and would highly recommend using it in bridge mode versus wirelessly extending it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.