Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davewang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
I have an iMac PowerPC G4 (igloo) 800 MHz, 256 MB RAM, 50 GB HD with 22 GB available. I have an external Lacie HD 160 GB with 54 GB available.

Recently, my Mail and Safari apps were not responding. I deleted the .plist files in the user/library/preferences folder, but that didn't do the trick... so I reinstalled OS X 10.3.9 (three times over the last month). Each time, the reinstall fixed the problem, but eventually it reoccurred with this third install not fixing the problem.

During the course of the OS X installs, I've also ran Disk Warrior and Disk Utility to repair permissions and disk. After each install, I've run software update to bring all versions of my software up to date. After the third install, I ran the combo OS X updater and then JUST the Safari updates. That's when it didn't fix the problem... Funny thing is I'm able to run Internet Explorer to get to this site.

I don't know what else to try, except for a complete erase and restore. I could copy all my files to the external, but don't want to invest in the time (this is my last resort).

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!!

Thanks,
Dave

Shadow

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
davewang said:
I have an iMac PowerPC G4 (igloo) 800 MHz, 256 MB RAM, 50 GB HD with 22 GB available. I have an external Lacie HD 160 GB with 54 GB available.

Recently, my Mail and Safari apps were not responding. I deleted the .plist files in the user/library/preferences folder, but that didn't do the trick... so I reinstalled OS X 10.3.9 (three times over the last month). Each time, the reinstall fixed the problem, but eventually it reoccurred with this third install not fixing the problem.

During the course of the OS X installs, I've also ran Disk Warrior and Disk Utility to repair permissions and disk. After each install, I've run software update to bring all versions of my software up to date. After the third install, I ran the combo OS X updater and then JUST the Safari updates. That's when it didn't fix the problem... Funny thing is I'm able to run Internet Explorer to get to this site.

I don't know what else to try, except for a complete erase and restore. I could copy all my files to the external, but don't want to invest in the time (this is my last resort).

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!!

Thanks,
Dave

Sorry to hear about your troubles, but it seems like a complete format is your only option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.