Need some serious help reinstalling Tiger

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Joeytpg, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Joeytpg macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

I sold my iMac G5 and I need to reinstall Tiger so the new user has the system from scratch, and any of my leftover files flying around the computer.

So this is what I did:

First backed up my files.

Then borrowed the Tiger Installetion CDs that came wit a friends MacBook Pro, because the ones that came with my iMac are at home (overseas). I inserted the instal. disk 1 and double click the Icon that starts the process. The computer restarted and I got a Kernel panic saying that I needed to reinstall the computer holding down the power button.

I did, but neither the system nor the installation disk menu came up, I just kept getting the Kernel panic, untill I restarted it and held the mouse button to get the cd out (a trick I new) and just after getting that cd out, the system loaded (with all my stuff still there)

What's wrong? is the CD damaged? or do I need the Tiger CDs that came with my iMac?

I need to send this computer to its buyer ASAP.

thanks

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

3. hodgjy macrumors 6502

In addition to the post ^^^^, the install discs are linked to each computer. In other words, regardless of the processor type, install discs from a Macbook will not work on an iMac, for example. At least this is what Apple posts on their webpage (in addition to the license agreements that would be violated by doing so).

4. Joeytpg thread starter macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

wow, and how am I supposed to reinstall tiger if the installation CDs are in my home country!?? :eek:

any ideas?

5. Mlobo01 macrumors 6502

trick or treat...

I had issues similar to this before, and one way of installing Tiger is to do it on an external drive, once Tiger is installed then you can swap the HDs if you have the facility or know-how, once you sure it starts up normally then you are good to go. thats the advantage of the towers, Im not sure about the iMacs though. Do you have an external enclosure? or can you borrow one?

6. Mlobo01 macrumors 6502

also..

you can have your friend install Tiger from his powerbook into an external HD then you can see if it starts up as an internal drive or through USB or FW?

7. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Find a torrent and pray that the moral police don't find you.