Need some serious help with iTunes and Handbrake

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by R.Perez, Feb 19, 2010.

1. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

So here is the deal, I have a drive full of ripped dvd's ( I LEGALLY OWN ALL OF THEM) in video_ts folders in vob format.

I am trying to use handbrake to convert them all so I can organize them within iTunes.

If I set the quality at the default 60% and leave everything else default

.mp4
    AAC (core audio)
    frame rate same as source etc etc

It converts and plays just fine in both iTunes and Quicktime.

However when I leave all settings the same, but change the quality to 100% iTunes and Quicktime both refuse to play the file.

Here is the real kicker though, if I keep the quality at 100% but only convert say chapters 1-3 vs all 1-30 or something, the converted file will play just fine

I am at a loss here and totally frustrated please help.

here is a screenshot with video playing, but this was converting only chapters 1-3, if I keep the settings the same but select all the chapters the file wont play

http://tf2newbs.com/newbs_upload/Screen%20shot%202010-02-19%20at%2012.39.19%20AM.jpg

2. Jomni macrumors member

where do you want to be able to play these movies? iPhone, iTunes, ATV?

3. R.Perez thread starter macrumors 6502

R.Perez

iTunes and Apple TV. (I dont have an Apple TV atm, but will eventually and want to make sure its compatible.) I mainly just want it playable in iTunes and would like an explanation as to why its being so weird at the moment.

4. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Just use Handbrake's AppleTV preset instead of setting things manually. I'm pretty sure you'll find the results acceptable.

As to what you're doing wrong, setting the quality at 100% or whatever is either:
    • resulting in a higher bitrate file than iTunes or Quicktime can handle, or
    • resulting in too large of a file for iTunes or Quicktime.

5. R.Perez thread starter macrumors 6502

R.Perez

iTunes and quicktime seriously can't handle a DVD at 100% quality? Lame

Also is there any way to add multiple folders to handbrake at the same time?

I am trying to convert a 1tb drive that is full of movies, and selecting each folder one by one is pretty time consuming

6. jazzbo macrumors member

I don't think you understand fully what the 100% quality means. It means basically take the compressed video in the DVD image (as DVDs compress the video), "uncompress" it, which is not as good as it sounds with lossy video, and use that. Basically it can not possibly give you better quality than the original DVD (which was compressed in a lossy way), but does take up more disk space. 100% is only meant to be an intermediate step before the transcoding.

More information in the handbrake faq: http://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/SupportFAQ#winsomelosesome

7. Jomni macrumors member

I've been doing the same thing and have just finished ripping over 300 DVD's with handbrake for use on iPhone, iTunes and ATV and i've used the Universal preset for everyone, the quality is set to 60% by default, and they all look and sound great. So the preset alone provides enough quality, and works every time. Hope that helps.

8. Jomni macrumors member

Yes, if you already have the DVD's ripped, you can just add each source to Handbrake and click "add to queue" in the toolbar, add each one and let it run.

9. R.Perez thread starter macrumors 6502

R.Perez

Ha thanx for that, as they said in the FAQ that really doesn't make much sense. I thought 100% meant not further compressing the source, not making it larger.

This is what I was trying to avoid. I have all the DVD folders listed on a drive. I wanted to add every folder at once and click add to queue.

Guess its not possible, ive just been clicking on each one, wiating for it to scan and then clicking add to queue. However when you have 250 movies on a drive that is pretty time consuming. Oh well.