Need some sort of dropbox/misc utility!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MagicTramp, Apr 29, 2009.

1. MagicTramp macrumors newbie

I like to keep temporary items on my desktop. But sometimes they evolve into important documents, and i am TERRIBLE at deleting stuff on my desktop.

I cant remember where the photo is, but some guy had like a 'drop box' utility which he obviously used to drag items into for storage.

Any app for that? Or am i better off making a 'Misc' folder and wacking it on the desktop?

2. Achiever macrumors 6502

Achiever

Not exactly sure what you need, but I know drop box is more of an app for online storage.

Do you perhaps mean Shove Box?

If not, apps like Notebook, Yojimbo or DevonThink would also give you a repository for random things and the ability to sort them.

If keeping the desktop neater is the concern, then perhaps Hazel is something to try. You could set up specific folders and rules whereby you could easily run a script to have Hazel sort the file into the appropriate folder.

3. akm3 macrumors 68020

You could use 'DropBox' which is at getdropbox.com
    It is awesome and lets you sync a variety of files, is free, AND works with Windows and Mac. I love it. It also supports versioning so it will save all the revisions you are creating so you can step back in time.

iDisk in MobileMe is good too. But costs money and lacks some of DropBox's features.

4. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

I highly recommend DropBox. Shameless plug. I like how it's a native folder that keep track of itself and syncs across systems.

It's one of my top-ten favourite apps.