Need some suggestions iMac 5K

Discussion in 'iMac' started by marksashley, Apr 12, 2015.

1. marksashley, Apr 12, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2015

marksashley macrumors newbie

Hi I just updated my MacBook Pro 17 inch to the new Yosemite update. Apple technicians online try to fix it and said he had to go to the Apple Store which was my birthday April 9. Well my my board is fried and this was the second one and the other one was under contract. They were nice enough to say they'll do it for free they had to change due to an upgrade.

So, I so happy afterward I bought iMac 5K basic model. When I got home I didn't realize that you could upgrade it and try to justify that more power in the picture is just incredible. Blu-ray is incredible. I noticed on MacRumors that it's caution for this item but not but the 5K is new my MacBook Pro I abused and still keeps on ticking. Rumor is that Apple coming out with a LG 8K 2016. MacRumors said that the Mac Pro basic model cannot compete with the new top-of-the-line 5K iMac. Also the cheapest 4K is about four grand any suggestions I got a couple weeks to make a choice I love this this is just incredible pictures are just unbelievable I'm addicted I'm a Apple addict. I'm pleased but I'd like to have the upgrades. I think I will be set and grateful to have one hell of a birthday. Any feedback will be appreciated thank you Mark:cool:

PS I got the watch not until June 2015

2. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

I'm sorry, friend, but I honestly didn't understand a word of what you said.

3. redheeler, Apr 12, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2015

redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

How do you use your iMac?

Edit: If you do go with an upgrade, make it the M295X GPU. You only need the i7 if you do processor-heavy work.

----------

Also, just to clarify: there are plenty of 4K displays and even a Dell 5K cheaper than 4K, and the reason the iMac is colored orange in the Buyer's Guide is because they couldn't be bothered with making a separate category for the Retina iMac.

4. Fifteen20s macrumors regular

If you like upgrades and have a return period, I suggest exchanging it and upgrading your video card and possibly adding a SSD if you have the funds.

Now I am saying this not owning a rImac. I can however appreciate the "want" for customization and owning more than the base model. I feel these are the 2 most worthwhile upgrades.

On a side note for causal conversation. What country are you from? When reading your post I got the feeling english is not your native language.

5. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

My best guess is that you got a base iMac 5K and you are wondering if you need an upgrade? If this is the case, it depends on what you do and how much you're willing to spend. Basically, for video editing, you should get an i7 and for gaming you should get an M295X. For everything else, go for whatever you can afford. But as redheeler said, unless you have specific needs, M295X is probably a better upgrade than the i7 for most people. All the upgrades are nice and worth their cost (other than RAM upgrades you can get yourself for less money), but not game-changers. The base model is very powerful too.