Need some technical know how about firewire and battery packs

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Jasonbot, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

I have got a Belkin tunepower for iPod, here, but it doesn't work for my 5G iPod since it's the old one. The one thing it does do is charge the 5G while the tunepower is plugged into my firewire port and teh 5G plugged into the tunepower's dock.

Now I know that the thing outputs 12V via firewire right? But It doesn't do anything to my 5G when plugged in. So, I just need to open up the little dock connector and shuffle around the connectors so that it can work like a standard wall charger, but I have no idea which wire will go where because I am no expert. The wires going to the dock connector are all funny. Now I know this is very warranty voiding but I don't care. I'm stuck with this guy. I just need help with the pinning.

2. Jasonbot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Ok, I've got the pinout of the dock:

pin1+2
    pin 11
    pin 15
    pin 18+19
    pin 21
    pin 29+30

pins 1+2 are ground- and lineout common ground respectively.

pins 11 and 15 are connected together by a small black piece of wire for some weird reason.

The wires going to 18+19 and 21 are the firewire power leads but strangely a red goes to 18+19 together which are 3.3V power and firewire+ respectively. and white goes to pin 21 firewire-.

pin 29 and 30 are both firewire ground-

I'm not too sure but can firewire just go to firewire + and - to work, I have a feeling that all the other pins are unnecessary because if you look at a firewire cable it only have 4 pins, fw+, fw-, ground and data.

But I just need to know where to place all the wires. the problem is that theres 4 wires, 2 grounds and fw+ and fw- but 30 pins on an iPod dock connector. I have no idea where to put what?

3. Jasonbot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

I made an error with pin 21. It's actually the accessory indicator.

So I removed the loop between 11 and 15.
    Took the red lead off of pin 18 so it's just connected to pin 19.
    I removed the accessory indicator so that the iPod doesn't see the battery pack as an accessory but rather a charging source. I'm unsure whether this will affect the rated specs of the device?
    I left all grounds connected.

Just to note, On my 3G the battery pack didn't show up as a charger. It just made the battery icon longer. I'm not sure if it just bypassed the battery or what? But now on my 5G it charged. But when I connected it to my 3G the 3G's screen went black and the tune power smells kinda burned now. Did I destroy it?

4. Jasonbot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

I think I burn't out the battery because it smells burnt at the connectors and the insulation is melted through? Can I use fix this somehow or is it dead?