Need some tips! I only know windows and I just switched to Mac.

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by js09, Nov 7, 2013.

1. js09 macrumors member

After being a PC guy for 15 years I just bought a maxed out 15" MBP. This, over the course of a few weeks, will become my main machine as I phase my PC out.

From a productivity standpoint, or from a designer standpoint, what are some crucial tips or ways of doing things that I need to know? Anything that OSX features that windows did not (and makes me more efficient) I want to know!

I also have a keyboard/mouse/thunderbolt screen I'll be using.

Excited :)

Thanks all.

2. rayhigh macrumors member

Hello,

I switched a little over a year ago, and have no regrets.

Your question is incredibly broad. I suggest googling when you need specific answers, and if that isn't forthcoming, posing specific questions in a forum such as this....

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

There's a great book: David Pogue's "Switching to the Mac". It's written for people switching from Windows to OSx. I used it when I bought my first Mac and they've kept up with the updates. It's available on Amazon. but they haven't put in an update for Mavericks yet.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

1) Check the mouse and trackpad settings and make sure you have right-click enabled.

2) Throw yourself a bone and re-create a Start Menu. Drag your Applications folder onto the Dock next to the trash can and right-click it and say "View Contents as List."

3) But break yourself of the nasty windows habit of 'minimizing.' Yeah that little yellow dot will do it, but please never click it. Learn to use Command-tab and Command H. You'll get around a lot faster.

4) SPOTLIGHT IS MAGIC. Yes, I know you can search for things on Windows. Trust me, this is way better. Use it to launch apps. Find emails. Search contacts. Anything. Everything. It works and it's FAST.

6. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

To update old-wiz you can get the OS X Mavericks: This Missing Manual will be coming out in late December. This will be an easy read compared to his older Missing Manual books and IMHO will be a great resource book for your transition.

Also there is the Apple page OS X Basics page that might be worth looking at.

7. js09 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone :)

I also read about AirDrop just now.. sounds amazing.

8. dean1012 macrumors regular

Also on the "don't minimize" list, familiarize yourself with Mission Control and start using it extensively.

Organize your workflow into different desktops (across multiple monitors, if you wish) and use 'full screen' mode for apps that support it that you need to focus on independently.