Need some tips on buying a router......Help is appreciated :)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Solemony, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

So this friday(Black Friday) me and my dad are going to buy a router to set up our wireless network at home..But the thing is we both are like an complete idiots on which one we should buy. I'm thinking of going for airport but not really sure...I need one that works *I know all of them works but I don't want one that crashes after two weeks* and one that is not overprices like 150-200 dollars...

Any suggestions are welcome.

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Linksys WRT160N ($75 - 100)
    Game. Set. Match.

3. kid rock macrumors regular

the belkin N1 Vision is an awesome router, has 4 gigabit ports (better file transfers over local network) and a good pre-N wireless, not had any problems and you get a full lifetime warranty (if i remember correctly)

dont know what version you will need in the states but they do one a modem/router/adsl2+ version as well

Simon

4. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

If you don't want overpriced like you said, don't go for Airport Extreme.

I have the DIR-655 (by D-Link). It is one of the fastest wireless-N routers out there.
    There are tons of options, but I have had good luck with the D-Link. Linksys might be another good option (owned by Cisco, they make pretty serious gear for servers and such)

5. Solemony thread starter macrumors 6502

Solemony

Thank you all. I'll look into each of them and decide the best out of all of them.. :)

6. jbernie macrumors 6502a

jbernie

I would strongly suggest you avoid the Linksys WCG200, as much as the all in one cable modem/4 port router/wireless g combo is great, the device has a habit of suffering from wireless overload causing the wireless portion to fail and then requiring a hard reset.

Mine is up for removal due to the issues. Basic summary, Linksys does not include anyway to update the firmware as that is a cable provider task, so the 2.x update basically caused these issues but the cable modem providers say it is a Linksys issue and the Linksys says it is a provider issue and nothing gets done.

7. Semiopaque macrumors regular

Agree on the D-Link DIR-655 for solid, cheapish, quick wireless router if you can find a good deal.

8. networkr macrumors newbie

I would not recommend d-link,go with a linksys or netgear. I know staples is selling a net gear router for $50 bucks not sure which model.

9. Semiopaque macrumors regular

Never thought I would either 'til I got this one. Always was a Cisco guy before.