Need some tips on how to start recording...

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by thecoolone1, Jul 11, 2010.

1. thecoolone1 macrumors regular

Well first of all I'm new to all this audio recording stuff and would like to get into it. My friends wants to record a couple of songs but I want to know what all I need to make this happen. I need to know what kind of setup I need.

Basically, he has beats/instrumentals of his own already in a mp3 file format. Now all we want to do is record over that. I own a 13" MBP and as you know it only has one connection for audio in/out. I would like to connect a couple of headphones and microphone to it but I don't see how, seeing that the audio in/out is all in one port. I could use a USB microphone to as my other option I assume.

Is there any kind of adapter or module that will allow me to plug in the audio in/out port and split into a headphone jack and microphone input?

Also once that is figured out is there a way for him to actually hear himself live with headphones on as he is recording? Sort of like the t-pain app for the iphone lol!

I would appreciate some tips if possible!

2. jackerin macrumors 6502a

3. jamur macrumors newbie

Firewire 410 and Garageband

Need some help on trying to set up Garageband and a Firewire 410.
    I want to record a voice on one track and set up another mic input for an acoustical guitar. I want to record both tracks simultaneously but have the option to edit each one separately. The way it works now is both inputs record at the some time and are the same, voice and guitar.

4. jackerin macrumors 6502a

It is customary to start a new thread for a new topic; your issue is with using an external audio interface while this thread was about using the built-in one.

5. deej999 macrumors regular

You need an audio interface with at least two inputs. Search for audio interface here and you will see many threads about different ones to fit your budget.

deej

6. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

The DUET is an obvious choice but ya there are others.

7. jackerin macrumors 6502a

This is all better discussed in the new thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=971310