Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keukasmallie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2011
WNY
I'll be traveling (by air) with a MBP and an iPad3; any tips regarding packing them, airport security, general do's and don'ts...?

Thanks for your help!!

ajanini

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2012
São Paulo, Brazil
Put them in your carry-on luggage and make sure they're in a place where you can easily get them out. Use a sleeve type of bag just for them, if you got one.

I'm not sure about domestic flights, but on international flights you have to take notebooks out of your bags when going through the body scan thing.

:)

imacadoo

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2012
Westchester, NY
For air travel, can you leave your MBP in its sleeve and send it through x-ray in a separate bin or must you remove it from the sleeve? I just picked up an incase neoprene sleeve and the wrapping says something like airport security friendly. To me that implies that it can stay in its sleeve.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Both the wife and I have them I sleeves in the front pocket of our rolling camera bags. At airport security the sleeves go into separate trays to be scanned...just like your shoes, coat...etc.

imacadoo

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2012
Westchester, NY
Makes sense. The purpose of taking the laptops out of the bag (other than a TSA type approved bag) is to give the screeners an unobstucted view of the innards. I would think a sleeve accomplishes that especially if there aren't sleeve pockets stuffed with adapters and other gear. Below is from TSA website:

"To help streamline the security process and better protect laptops, TSA recently encouraged manufacturers to design bags that will produce a clear and unobstructed image of the laptop when undergoing X-ray screening. A design that meets this objective will enable TSA to allow laptops to remain in bags for screening.

TSA screens laptops to see if the electronics have been tampered with. Transportation Security Officers know what the inside of a computer should look like, and they can recognize irregularities. This is why they need an unobstructed view as the item moves through the X-ray machine.

Purchasing one of these bags will not guarantee that you can leave your laptop in your bag for screening. If a Transportation Security Officer finds that the bag does not present a clear and distinct image of the laptop separate from the rest of the bag, the laptop must be screened separately.

There are laptop bag styles currently on the market, such as laptop-only sleeves, that have the potential to present a clear X-ray image of the laptop if they are correctly packed. However, most current laptop bags will not present a clear X-ray image and should not be sent through the X-ray with the laptop inside."

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
For my rMBP I have a Puma sleeve from the Apple store. For my iPad I have a Built sleeve from BB.

The purpose of both sleeves is to minimize surface wear and tear. I have smart cover on the iPad and a Gelaskin on the back. http://www.gelaskins.com.

My iPhone does not leave home without its Otterbox Defender cover. ;)

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
There's some laptop bags you can get that are checkpoint safe. They unzip in the center and lay flat...your computer is by itself in one half, all your cables and stuff are in the other. That way they see just your computer without any obstructions, and you shouldn't have to remove it from the bag. I have one, and it works out great.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Put them in your carry-on luggage and make sure they're in a place where you can easily get them out. Use a sleeve type of bag just for them, if you got one.

I'm not sure about domestic flights, but on international flights you have to take notebooks out of your bags when going through the body scan thing.

:)

Always carry on your equipment. Never check it. Some cases are acceptable for screening without removing the mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.