Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

generik

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Hi,

I'm currently trying to decide between the Miglia TinyTV and Elgato's EyeTV DTT

Does anyone happen to have experience with both?

Which would be better?

*Better as in 'more reliable'.. 'better reception' etc, since software wise they are both identical. :)

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
I have a DTT, but not a TinyTv. My personal thoughts are that they are probably using identical chips internally! The quality is basically dependant on the input signal. If you are connecting to a good roof aerial or a boosted internal aerial you should be OK. If you think you are going to use the tiny bit of wire they give you with it you'll be lucky to get any signal at all!

generik

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Does the DTT give you any problems?

When I saw the photo of the EyeTV I thought an antenna was already included? You mean I can actually connect a larger antenna to it? :D

nw43

macrumors regular
May 8, 2005
UK
I've got the EyeTv for DTT too and am pretty happy with it although, as robbie says, it depends on the signal you get.

It does come with a little aerial but this won't pick much up. You can plug your own aerial in - exactly the same as you would if you were hooking up a normal TV.

I don't have any experience of the TinyTV but they seem to be similar. If anything, I think I prefer the design of the DTT as it looks like the TinyTV is just a stick that goes straight into a USB port whereas the DTT is a separate little (and it IS very little) box.

MacDonaldsd

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2005
London , UK
Im in the same situation
nw43 said:
I've got the EyeTv for DTT too and am pretty happy with it although, as robbie says, it depends on the signal you get.

It does come with a little aerial but this won't pick much up. You can plug your own aerial in - exactly the same as you would if you were hooking up a normal TV.

I don't have any experience of the TinyTV but they seem to be similar. If anything, I think I prefer the design of the DTT as it looks like the TinyTV is just a stick that goes straight into a USB port whereas the DTT is a separate little (and it IS very little) box.

But the fact the TinyTv just sticks out the usb port worrys me, doesnt infa red only work in line of site ?

nw43

macrumors regular
May 8, 2005
UK
MacDonaldsd said:
But the fact the TinyTv just sticks out the usb port worrys me, doesnt infa red only work in line of site ?

Which is why I said I preferred the design of the DTT. Although I'm sure that they would have thought of something as obvious as that.......

Sorry, it's a bit hard to recommend one over the other when you've only got one of the two products (and I doubt anyone would have both) although it seems that both do pretty much the same thing and I'm sure you'd be happy whichever you went for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.