Need Some Very Quick Advice..

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by farmerku, Jun 18, 2008.

1. farmerku macrumors regular

farmerku

Alright I just went to my campus Apple store and picked up a Mini-DVI to VGA adapter to connect my MacBook to my 19" Gateway LCD monitor. The horrific sales dude at the Apple store basically told me it was pointless for me to buy this adapter because the quality is horrible. I know there are a million thread already on this subject but I need some quick advice...

If I open this adapter they will not let me return the item..

I'm am not overly concerned with the quality issue but is it really that bad or was the Apple salesman just being negative? I bought it because I knew if I asked everyone here I can trust your opinion and make my decision.

Thanks for the quick advice everyone.. I'm sitting here starring at this adapter deciding whether or not I should open it.

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

It won't be as sharp as a DVI screen, but it'll be perfectly usable - I've used the same adaptor to attach a second screen to an iMac in the past.

3. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Mine worked fine, to be honest. Quality wise I can't think of anything different from having my display hooked up to another computer.

4. Hmac macrumors 68020

I use my DVI -> VGA adapter regularly to connect my MBP to an InFocus projector. Works fine. I don't know why mini-DVI -> VGA would be any worse. Besides...it's the only game in town.

I keep forgetting to get a DVI -> DVI cable for that projector. Thanks for the reminder.

5. shoveland macrumors newbie

I have the mini DVI to VGA adapter on my imac for a 2nd monitor and I have to say the quality is pretty bad in contrast to the iMac screen. Usable, but nothing at all compared to the iMac

6. farmerku thread starter macrumors regular

farmerku

Thanks for the quick advice... made for a quick decision as I am typing this on my 19" lcd screen and the quality is just fine. I am about to send a complaint to Apple about how bad my campus store is. I feel lucky to have one less than 5 min from my apartment but they have college students working there and it's a joke operation. Either way I am pleased with my adapter and appreciate everyone help.

One last question. How do I close my macbook and still use the external?

7. nidserz macrumors 6502a

nidserz

glad to know its working for you.

as for your question. from what i have read so far in the forums in order to use the external while closing your macbook you just shut the lid, the macbook goes to sleep, now you press a button on the keyboard/mouse hooked up to that macbook to wake it up - it should then make use of the external as its monitor.
    correct me if im wrong (sorry if i am too)

8. M4CBOOK macrumors regular

M4CBOOK

Its not the worlds best quality, but it works fine for me