Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sbb155

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 15, 2005
I am a corporate user, and will be going out of the country for work in 2 days. My 15 MBP starting acting very funky today after a drop. Needless to say, I cannot take it on the road for corporate work, as I will be giving presentations, etc. So I am going to have to buy a new MBP today or tomorrow

I mostly do video based keynote addresses and office. Some encoding, but not major. Mostly cutting clips on slides.

I plan on getting a 13 MBP. 15 is too big for me now.
I have to buy at apple store in my area.
PRICE is NOT an issue
Ideally I would like i7 and 16gb, but I don't think I can get that in a store.
Can you get ram upgrade in store?
What is the best 13 one can get in the store?
Sam

disasterdrone

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2013
I am a corporate user, and will be going out of the country for work in 2 days. My 15 MBP starting acting very funky today after a drop. Needless to say, I cannot take it on the road for corporate work, as I will be giving presentations, etc. So I am going to have to buy a new MBP today or tomorrow

I mostly do video based keynote addresses and office. Some encoding, but not major. Mostly cutting clips on slides.

I plan on getting a 13 MBP. 15 is too big for me now.
I have to buy at apple store in my area.
PRICE is NOT an issue
Ideally I would like i7 and 16gb, but I don't think I can get that in a store.
Can you get ram upgrade in store?
What is the best 13 one can get in the store?
Sam

RAM can't be upgraded after purchase on the rMBPs. If you can get a cMBP that can be upgraded.

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
The Apple stores usually have a few BTO options in the stores. Call your store to see if they have the BTO options you want (ask them to look it up as sometimes they don't know they have BTO options in the store).

I was able to get my 2013 15" rMBP with all the BTO options maxed out in the store, several workers had no idea they had it, but I got it.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
My local Apple Store usually has the base model and the hi-end model in stock.

Perhaps you can get a "fully loaded" one from yours.
By the way, how did you MacBook do physically? Did the drop crack or bend the screen/body?

I've always wondered how durable they really are.

----------

I was able to get my 2013 15" rMBP with all the BTO options maxed out in the store, several workers had no idea they had it, but I got it.

I often find their level of competency somewhat lacking....

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
I often find their level of competency somewhat lacking....

I know, it's a bit sad, it didn't used to be like this. I'm guessing their hiring standards have gone down with the stores getting more and more customers over the years (SJ's passing I'm sure didn't help either). Now days you sometimes have to be firm and feel them out to tell if they know what they're talking about and to tell them you know what you're talking about.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I know, it's a bit sad, it didn't used to be like this. I'm guessing their hiring standards have gone down with the stores getting more and more customers over the years (SJ's passing I'm sure didn't help either). Now days you sometimes have to be firm and feel them out to tell if they know what they're talking about and to tell them you know what you're talking about.

So true. My old 4S stopped receiving WiFi and barely received Bluetooth. All they knew to do was restart it...

I had already:
Restarted it
Restored it.
Reset Wifi setting.
Adjusted network settings

They were astonished that I had tried all that and still made me restore it again there. Luckily, during the second set up phase it lost wifi again (permanently) and they gave me another one.

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
So true. My old 4S stopped receiving WiFi and barely received Bluetooth. All they knew to do was restart it...

I had already:
Restarted it
Restored it.
Reset Wifi setting.
Adjusted network settings

They were astonished that I had tried all that and still made me restore it again there. Luckily, during the second set up phase it lost wifi again (permanently) and they gave me another one.

95% chance it was an antenna issue. Boom! Solved it! I should work at the Apple store. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.