Need some web architecture help

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by pianodude123, Apr 5, 2015.

1. pianodude123 macrumors 6502a

Mar 1, 2005
    in the internet
    Hey all

I'm seeking some help for a startup I'm building called Everbarrel. The site allows consumers to hedge their gas prices just like airlines do. However, due to the differences in gasoline prices between states, I have to customize the site experience based on the location that the user says that they're from (eventually I'll try to detect it from their IP address)

My question is: What state should I set google to have when it's indexing the page? If you go to the root URL of the site it redirects you to a "choose state" page if you aren't logged in. I think this is obviously a bad idea to send a crawler to a state-selection page.

So how should I handle this? It's a bit like selecting a language, but browsers don't send the HTTP Accept-Language with a state...

Also, another question: What do you think of the idea? Is it something that you'd be interested in buying?
  2. Jamesbot macrumors member

Jun 19, 2009
    I would consider having a different URL for each state. Then give google a sitemap that lists the URLs you want indexed.