Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tktaylor1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2010
Nashville, TN
So for Christmas I want to get my mom some bottles of wine. I know nothing about wine. I was just wanting some suggestions of what to get. I know she likes sweet, fruity wines. I live in middle TN so if there are any wineries that you know of around here that have good wine that would be a good place to start. Otherwise, I guess I am stuck with a wine and spirit store. Any suggestions of some good wines would be greatly appreciated. I really don't know where to begin.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Chateau d'Yquem Sauternes

Um, yes. An excellent choice, but hardly a wine that may be found in a bargain bin, or discount section of a store, and perhaps not quite what the Op is looking for.

To the OP: Given the preferences stated in your original post, I'd suggest that you start with white wines, rather than red. Then, perhaps focus on the grape. Here, I'd suggest a wine from Muscat grapes, or a wine with a Traminer (Gewurtztraminer in Alsace) cross, if you want that sweet and fruity mix. A white port will also deliver that (and is not too heavy).

The Tokay wine from Hungary (a wine where quality can differ a lot depending on what category is selected) is another suggestion, as is the 'Icewine' of some of the German regions. Sauternes is also excellent.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Go to the wine store and ask them for suggestions. Don't buy anything right away, but take notes on names and prices.

If there's a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's near you, try there.

Since you didn't give a price range, it's difficult to make a specific suggestion.

tktaylor1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2010
Nashville, TN
Go to the wine store and ask them for suggestions. Don't buy anything right away, but take notes on names and prices.

Since you didn't give a price range, it's difficult to make a specific suggestion.

I can spend $150 but I'm not going spend that on one bottle. I would like to get a couple bottles. Around 3 or 4.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
I can spend $150 but I'm not going spend that on one bottle. I would like to get a couple bottles. Around 3 or 4.

Then I'd like to offer another suggestion. Buy 3 or 4 bottles of different kinds, in the $8-15 range. Also find out what the by-the-case price is. Then have your mom try each of the bottles and tell you which one she likes best. Then spend the rest of the budgeted amount on a case or half-case.

My mom likes medium-dry to sweet wines, too, but she's kinda picky about exactly what she likes. So this approach is basically what I did last time I bought her some wine: find the one she likes, buy a case of it.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England

Unless you live in a weird state like Massachusetts where neither of these stores carry wine. (Only two of our Trader Joe's have wine/beer sections). Silly Puritans.

There are plenty of very drinkable wines in the $8-$20 range, so I like your suggestion of buying 3-4 bottles in this range for a taste test.

B

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
I googled Tennessee wineries and easily found these.

Shows a map and a list of wineries.
http://www.tennesseewines.com/wineries.htm
SD1002w.gif

The red numbers on the map correspond to specific wineries listed at the link.

Lists winery names, by county and region (East, Middle, West).
http://www.agriculture.state.tn.us/Marketing.asp?QSTRING=WDI

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
Unless you live in a weird state like Massachusetts where neither of these stores carry wine. (Only two of our Trader Joe's have wine/beer sections). Silly Puritans.

There are plenty of very drinkable wines in the $8-$20 range, so I like your suggestion of buying 3-4 bottles in this range for a taste test.

B

Agree. I enjoy wines, especially dry red wines, but I'm no expert. I find shopping in that price range offers many interesting bottles and one can experiment without breaking the bank. But be careful on the low end ($8-$12) of the economical range. Often you'll luck out but sometimes the wine is past its prime or even laced with undrinkable levels of aldehydes and ketones, the products of oxidation.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
Why don't you take your mom to a wine tasting event and then when she finds what she likes, you take note of it and buy it.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
The Tokay wine from Hungary (a wine where quality can differ a lot depending on what category is selected) is another suggestion, as is the 'Icewine' of some of the German regions. Sauternes is also excellent. [/SIZE][/FONT]

Bleh dessert wine...

Trader Joe's sometimes has one of my favorites. Last time I found it there, it was also cheaper than the link. I think I paid $40 or $45.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.