Need Some Wine Suggestions

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by tktaylor1, Dec 7, 2013.

1. tktaylor1 macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

So for Christmas I want to get my mom some bottles of wine. I know nothing about wine. I was just wanting some suggestions of what to get. I know she likes sweet, fruity wines. I live in middle TN so if there are any wineries that you know of around here that have good wine that would be a good place to start. Otherwise, I guess I am stuck with a wine and spirit store. Any suggestions of some good wines would be greatly appreciated. I really don't know where to begin.

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

3. tktaylor1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

Thanks for the reply. Would that be in a wine box store or would it be something I would have to buy online?

4. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I can find it at my local store, no idea about yours.

It isn't cheap. But a (different) Sauternes would likely be up your mother's alley.

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Um, yes. An excellent choice, but hardly a wine that may be found in a bargain bin, or discount section of a store, and perhaps not quite what the Op is looking for.

To the OP: Given the preferences stated in your original post, I'd suggest that you start with white wines, rather than red. Then, perhaps focus on the grape. Here, I'd suggest a wine from Muscat grapes, or a wine with a Traminer (Gewurtztraminer in Alsace) cross, if you want that sweet and fruity mix. A white port will also deliver that (and is not too heavy).

The Tokay wine from Hungary (a wine where quality can differ a lot depending on what category is selected) is another suggestion, as is the 'Icewine' of some of the German regions. Sauternes is also excellent.

6. chown33 macrumors 604

Go to the wine store and ask them for suggestions. Don't buy anything right away, but take notes on names and prices.

If there's a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's near you, try there.

Since you didn't give a price range, it's difficult to make a specific suggestion.

7. tktaylor1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

I can spend $150 but I'm not going spend that on one bottle. I would like to get a couple bottles. Around 3 or 4.

8. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Yes, well I was being only partially serious. With no $$ parameters stated up front, I figured might as well go for broke. ;)

9. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Good suggestion.

But I was going to suggest a bissel Manischewitz.

Nice and sweet...and fine for stripping furniture, too.

10. chown33 macrumors 604

Then I'd like to offer another suggestion. Buy 3 or 4 bottles of different kinds, in the $8-15 range. Also find out what the by-the-case price is. Then have your mom try each of the bottles and tell you which one she likes best. Then spend the rest of the budgeted amount on a case or half-case.

My mom likes medium-dry to sweet wines, too, but she's kinda picky about exactly what she likes. So this approach is basically what I did last time I bought her some wine: find the one she likes, buy a case of it.

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Unless you live in a weird state like Massachusetts where neither of these stores carry wine. (Only two of our Trader Joe's have wine/beer sections). Silly Puritans.

There are plenty of very drinkable wines in the $8-$20 range, so I like your suggestion of buying 3-4 bottles in this range for a taste test.

B

12. chown33 macrumors 604

13. macmesser macrumors 6502a

Agree. I enjoy wines, especially dry red wines, but I'm no expert. I find shopping in that price range offers many interesting bottles and one can experiment without breaking the bank. But be careful on the low end ($8-$12) of the economical range. Often you'll luck out but sometimes the wine is past its prime or even laced with undrinkable levels of aldehydes and ketones, the products of oxidation.

14. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Why don't you take your mom to a wine tasting event and then when she finds what she likes, you take note of it and buy it.

15. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

16. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Bleh dessert wine...

Trader Joe's sometimes has one of my favorites. Last time I found it there, it was also cheaper than the link. I think I paid $40 or $45.

17. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

You leave his Mothers alley out of it, this is a thread on wine.