Need something like Microsoft OneNote

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rajalot, Aug 30, 2008.

1. rajalot macrumors member

rajalot

Everyone who has ever gotten used to OneNote can't really live without it, including me. 2007 OneNote is absolutely amazing, phenomenal I dare to say! You know that's the case if you've used it.

So is there any app for Mac that is as powerful & flexible or even comes close?

2. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

3. acxz macrumors regular

EverNote is the closest you're going to get without running Windows through a virtual machine. It's no where near as powerful as OneNote, but with a little ingenuity (e.g. creating a table in a word processor, then screenshotting it and pasting it in EverNote as an image), it can work.

With any luck Apple will create something like OneNote for iWork soon.

4. dws90 macrumors regular

Another option is Devonthink. While it's certainly not a replica of OneNote (or anything close to it), it does many of the same things.

It can create text notes and tables and import documents of a number of different filetypes (including PDFs). It has a very powerful search feature, and can easily take clippings from the web (as both raw links and web archives). If you get the Pro Office version, it also has built in OCR support (although it doesn't do handwriting recognition - only typed text).

I've been using Devonthink to organize a number of different things, and it works beautifully.

5. pixiedusted macrumors newbie

6. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

There are easily a dozen options for the Mac for note taking. Upstream, someone mentioned Evernote and Circus Ponies. Also:

Yojimbo

Notemind

There are a number of editors that store files that are more easily accessible than in a folder on a hard disk. Caboodle, VoodooPad, Scratchpad, etc.

There are a number of editors that store files in a diary format. viJournal, Journler, MacJournal. Both viJournal and MacJournal have free versions.

(Technically, neither of these categories store data as "files" but in a database, but you get the idea.)

OmniOutliner is a awesome product. I use it a lot. You might also try Opal.

And I use Clipmarks when I use Firefox.

mt

7. kalex macrumors 65816

I do miss onenote. but i have to give credit to Evernote. Its been working great lately and with their "cloud" storage its available to me everywhere i go.

Just don't keep private notes in the cloud, no encryption so far.