Need Sony Hi 8 mono AV cable info

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by senseless, Mar 9, 2013.

1. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

I bought a Sony Hi 8 TRV608 without the AV cable, thinking my old Canon stereo AV cable would be compatible. It doesn't work, nor does an iPod cable.

The Sony camera is mono out and the av cable pictured in the manual is a 3.5mm plug to 2 RCAs (1 audio, 1 video) Does anyone know if this is a 3 or 4 pole connector on the camera side and how it's wired? I want to xfer some old tapes.

2. Buehrens macrumors newbie

Sony Hi8 cables

The camera should have a USB connection also. If you use that connection you should be able to get the files into your Mac. Try iMovie as it seems to deal with tape cameras. I have also used Quicktime to "capture" the videos.
    If the camera didn't come with a USB cable, try Fry's or online.

3. senseless thread starter macrumors 68000

senseless

Really? I'll give that a try first with Final Cut X.

4. senseless thread starter macrumors 68000

senseless

I couldn't get Final Cut X or Express to see the camcorder and I don't have Quicktime.

5. senseless, Mar 9, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2013

senseless thread starter macrumors 68000

senseless

Figured the cable out. Actually it's a simple 3 pole 3.5mm to 2 RCA plugs. The white plug is audio and the red is composite video. My audio problem was sort of solved by inserting the Roxio capture device into another USB jack. There is peak distortion I'm trying to fix now.

Turned out the Roxio capture device does not like my USB hub. Going directly to the computer USB works fine.