Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarcNice9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2011
i have a power pc G5 and my primary HD is full prohibiting me from running many common apps.. would it be ok to move the applications folder to another HD like the 2nd or 3rd??

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
You'd be better off moving some things you don't use very often to an external or other internal drive. While it works for the most part, you should generally keep your apps and OS on the same disk. Some apps don't care, some do. Also, clean up your disk and delete things you don't need anymore.

MarcNice9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2011
thank u for the info...generally i woud make the same call but theres just alot of wierd stuff on there like .trashes, .vol, sbin, tmp , usr, etc...all those files are a lighter shade than those of folders like app and library...is it ok to move or delete those files or folders....i inherited the comp from someone much more mac educated than i but im learning

----------

also why are those file folders not hi-lighted or darkened as the primary folders are?

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
You've downloaded the latest version of OnyX, which is Intel-only. On OnyX's website, look for an older version. Find the latest version compatible with your OS and you'll be set.

Send me pm...

If we take the discussion out of the thread, then no one coming behind will know what the solution was...

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
Monolingual will save you over 1GB at least if you remove all the languages you don't use and all the Intel code from your Universal apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.