Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Noitcere

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2015
Canada
First post. As a newbie, I'm sorry for existing.

I cannot stop thinking about getting this new 15" rMBP!

I'd mainly be using it for internet browsing, watching movies, listening to music, very basic things like that. I would get a Macbook Air, however, I still do photo retouching on Adobe Photoshop CC + some Illustrator stuff. I work with very high resolution 16bit images, with lots of layers.

Also, I have a 4K LG TV that I'd like to hook my Macbook up to occasionally. I know that's a lot of work for the Macbook to output to 4K (Is it even possible?), but I don't care if it outputs in 1080p or whatever, I just want to be able to watch Netflix on my TV through my Macbook without it freaking out.

I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to get the rMBP with the dGPU or if the iGPU will suit me just fine.

Will these scenarios be an issue for the base 15" rMBP with added 500GB of flash storage?

I've also heard that the dGPU is just a bit more of a hassle. I'd like to keep my laptop as simple as possible. That's why I'm selling my PC in the first place. Too much of a hassle.

Thanks! :apple:

ApoorvPrem

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2011
India
Macs are always hassle free.

Go for the Integrated GPU. Should be more than enough for your needs. Also, I "THINK" you can hook up at most one 4K screen to your macbook. It can handle it.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
You don't need the dGPU. And as the current 15" models all have 16GB RAM, you should be set for your Photoshop work as well.

Venderious

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2014
Groningen
I think the 15' is overkill and a pure waste of your money. The things you just mentioned work fine on a 13' rMBP and well, you could just upgrade that to the max and have a beast and still spend less than a 15'.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Unless your gaming...

The iGPU 15 inch should do you fine, you can connect to your TV and output 4k over thunderbolt (Mini display port to HDMI adapter needed) @60HZ.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.