Need spotlight to not index USB drive(s)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by viggen61, Dec 22, 2009.

1. viggen61 macrumors 6502

Hi!

I'm having a bit of an issue with Spotlight in Snow Leopard 10.6.2.

I recently bought two Blu-ray Disc players that use USB drives as BDLive storage, and for firmware update files. When I download the new update file to the drive, Spotlight indexes the drive, and places its hidden files on the drive.

This causes the player to have kittens, telling me it found more than one file on the drive, and it can't update. It's stupid, but it's what I have to live with, as it can't update the firmware over the player's Ethernet connection. Hey, it is a BDLive/Prof. 2 player for $99. Hard to beat!

I can delete the offending fileage manually, but I'd rather have a better solution that wouldn't create them in the first place.

BTW - are there any really good guides to Spotlight? I can rarely seem to get it to give me the info I'm looking for. The old "Finder" seemed to work a lot better for me, particularly when searching on file names... :confused:

TIA

:apple::apple:

2. Steve-M macrumors regular

Open System Preferences, Spotlight, Privacy. Then drag and drop your drive onto the space provided. From that point on, Spotlight will not index the drive.

3. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

If you're getting .DS_Store files, Resource fork (._) files and .Trashes folders these are caused by OS X and Finder not Spotlight, and this program, BlueHarvest, can help you deal with them.

4. viggen61 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, will give it a go.

5. viggen61 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sounds good also. THanks for the tip!

6. hanschien macrumors 6502

hanschien

Add a hidden file and name it ".metadata_never_index".

Code:
    sudo touch /Volumes/drive_name/.metadata_never_index

7. viggen61 thread starter macrumors 6502

I saw that tip in another thread or two, but that won't help with my Blu-ray players. The players already see the OTHER hidden files (the ones I'm trying not to have put on the drive now), and won't allow me to do the firmware update, so I doubt that anything would change if I added that hidden file.

Thanks anyway.