Need ssd and hd set up how-to instructions/resourse.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by sarkleshark, Oct 12, 2010.

1. sarkleshark macrumors newbie

I'm new to Mac. I'm beginning to understand multiple hard drive setup for photo and video editing and for data backup .But, Is there a good resourse-instructions that will guide me in installing a SSD as a boot drive and hard drives in the drive bays as raid. I'm looking for instructions on not just what to configure but how to configure the settings and transfer the boot drive to an ssd. Is this all done in the mac os or is there more I need to know. Thanks

sarkleshark

2. dissolve macrumors 6502a

There are plenty of details and guides on this forum and elsewhere, although it's really a simple process. I've never set up RAID, but you can do it through Disk Utility. Others will chime in to help you with that or you can look around elsewhere. One thing you'll need to decide is which type of RAID you want to employ. Assuming you're doing a clean install, all you need to do is:

1) Install Mac OS X from DVD to SSD
    2) Follow this to move your home folder to HDD

If you're migrating your data, just clone your main drive to the SSD and follow the procedure to get the home drive off of it. Hopefully someone else can help get the OP started on a RAID configuration.

3. Honumaui macrumors 6502a

SSD is easy :) fresh install start from scratch or use a program like CCC or Super Duper to clone it over

the rest of the stuff ?

do you have discs now ?
    do you have a budget ?
    how much space do you need ?
    how big of files are you working on ?
    what programs are your main programs you use ?
    what model of Mac did you get ?
    how much memory ?
    are you willing if budget allows to do a few external SATA ?

these will help quite a bit :)

4. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

You treat the ssd drive the same as any other drive you would be cloning etc. No difference. You can boot to the SL DVD and run disk utility to restore one drive to the other.

5. C. Alan macrumors 6502

Well this is a timely topic. I have a 40 gig SSD on order from OWC, and I hope to install it on Monday. I have been cleaning out some of my old applications that I don't use any more. I am hoping to do a clean install of SL, and the migrate some, if not all of the remaining apps over.

I have about conceded to the fact that I will have to create a low-priority applications folder on my old mechanical HD for stuff that is just too big for the SSD (like X-plane).

It has been a long time since I have used the migration tools, do they allow you to pick what specific apps you want to move over? Or does it just try to move all of them.

Thanks,
    C. Alan