Need SSD Help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jlrathke, Jun 23, 2015.

1. jlrathke macrumors member

jlrathke

Hope I'm posting this in the correct section, I haven't been on the forum since the redesign....

Anyway, I have a 2011 MBP with 8GB memory that I put a Samsung SSD in while running Mavericks. I used some software (can't remember which) to clone my factory HDD. After the SSD install, my MBP would boot in about 10 seconds and shutdown within 2 seconds. When Yosemite was released, I did something I NEVER do and upgraded right away. For whatever reason, I did not like it and wanted to go back to Mavericks. I pulled the SSD, put it in an enclosure and wiped it clean and reformatted with my Mini. After putting the SSD back in the MBP, I loaded Mavericks from an archive copy.

Problem, now the MBP takes about 20 seconds to boot and close to the same to shut down. Granted, that is great performance compared to a windows machine, but I guess I got spoiled.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jerry

2. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

If you are not attached to Mavericks for whatever reason, I would just create a bootable Yosemite USB drive and do a fresh install of it. It is about to be on its 4th revision and it's quite stable - I don't think you will have any issues.

3. Mnowell69 macrumors regular

Mnowell69

I am constantly swapping OS on my MBP17 and have found the best option is to always reinstall a fresh copy of OSX when going back to an older version. Upgrading to a newer version has never caused me any problems thankfully.

4. jlrathke thread starter macrumors member

jlrathke

Thanks for the replies.

I did use a fresh version with a newly formatted SSD from a bootable USB when I went back to Mavericks. I didn't really have any "real" problems with Yosemite....I didn't like the "flat" look but I had a program that brought back the 3D look. I guess my issue with Yosemite was purely aesthetics and that I didn't find any other useful needs to upgrade. My Mini is still running Mavericks and I'm just fine with that.

Anyway, I timed my boot speed (14 seconds) and my shut down speed (12 seconds) and they are great, but not what I was seeing. Life is good if those are my only complaints :)

Jerry

5. shoehornhands macrumors regular

I'll echo the sentiments of others here. I've found that it's always best to do a clean install with a major OS change / upgrade. Like you, I installed Yosemite when it first came out and due to a few issues I was having, ended up reverting back to Mavericks for awhile. A few months ago I upgraded back to Yosemite (currently 10.10.3) and haven't had any issues since (all the issues I was having have been corrected), so you might want to give Yosemite another try.

Also, you can simply create an OS X install USB stick from any app store copy of OS X by doing the following (copied from a post I made a few days ago):

1. Grab a USB flash drive that's at least 8GB

2. Download Yosemite from the app store (should download to your applications folder)

3. Open disk utility and do the following:
    -highlight the USB drive in the left column
    -click on the partition tab
    -select "1 partition"
    -click "options" and select GUID Partition Table
    -under name just type: USB (it will be renamed later)
    -under format choose "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)"
    -click "apply" and "partition"

4. Now open terminal (found under utilities) and paste the following into it:

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app --no interaction

-just paste that into terminal and hit enter, it should ask for your password and then the OS will create factory restore media from the USB stick and the Yosemite installer you downloaded from the app store (Note: can take 30-45min depending on speed of flash drive so don't remove the USB drive or exit terminal until it says it's finished)

5. To boot into the installer, just restart the computer and then hold down the "option" key during boot to bring up the boot menu
    -select the Yosemite installer from the boot menu (can take quite awhile to load)
    -if it's a new SSD, you should be able to simply follow the on screen instructions
    -if the USB has another OS installed on it, just open disk utility and erase it
    -simply bring your mouse to the top of the screen and the menu bar will appear (disk utility is under "utilities")

The above will install a factory fresh (just like you get with a brand new mac) copy of Yosemite on the SSD.

Anyway, I could be misunderstanding your post but it sounded like you might be jumping through a few extra hoops to re-install the OS.