Need SSD recommendation-MBP 13" duo core 2.4

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Noctilux.95, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Noctilux.95 macrumors 6502

I'd like to add some memory (2 right now) and an SSD HD to my daughters older 13" MBP, 2.4 GHZ.
    The computer is sluggish and needs a boosts.
    Can someone recommend a reliable SSD HD in the 120/128 GB range?

Thanks!

2. Kashsystems macrumors 6502

That will meet more than your needs because I believe your motherboard is only sata II. So your limit read/write speeds will be around 275/mb.

http://www.staples.com/Kingston-SSDNow-V300-120GB-25-SATA-III-6-Gb-s-MLC-Internal/product_104020

Is one that goes on sale quite frequently but as long as they meet those speed requirements you will get the maximum performance out of it.

3. mneblett macrumors 6502

A lot of folks promote the Samsung 840 Pro (or the new EVO), but I'm very happy with the base 840 -- as compared to a hard drive, you won't see a practical "responsiveness" difference, and the base 840 is a better $ value.

4. robvas macrumors 68020

Do not get a Sandforce drive with a 2009 or 2010 Macbook Pro (C2D). The NVIDIA SATA controller is buggy.

5. Aylan macrumors regular

Aylan

I had a Mac mini mid-2010 model with NVIDIA chipset. I had the Kingston Hyper-X SSD and I could not have been happier. It is the right price for what you are getting.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/...Drive_(SSD)_with_SandForce_SF-2281_Controller

Microcenter has good deals on SSDs from time to time, like this one:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/...ATA_60Gb-s_25_Solid_State_Drive_-_Refurbished

Someone did mention issues with NVIDIA SATA drivers but I did not experience any issues on my NVIDIA chipset mid 2010 Mac mini.

6. peterson12 macrumors member

I agree with Aylan. It is not necessary that if 1 in 1000 has any issues with their SSD, rest 999 can have issues too! this is highly impossible & moreover for a SSD failure there can be a lot of specific hardware issues which unfortunately people do not share & just rate a product which is highly incorrect. I too have used the SF SSDs of this period & till date extremely happy :)

7. magbarn macrumors 68000

What you said makes sense for the 840 Pro, but the price differential is so small between the 840 & 840 Evo. I'd get the Evo everytime unless the 840 is on a firesale.

8. mneblett macrumors 6502

Agreed -- I thought the cost difference was greater, but Newegg has the 250GB 840 EVO for only $8 more than the base 840.

9. Furifo macrumors 6502

I'm looking at putting an SSD into a mid-2010 13" C2D computer as well. I'm thinking of picking up a Samsung 840 (non-pro) as I'm getting a good deal on it.

Am I correct in saying that this drive isn't Sandforce based? And would this be a good drive to install?

I know the 13" is only going to be able to manage SATAII speeds but at least it will be a substantial improvement over the stock 5400rpm drive I have in right now.

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That drive is not Sandforce based and would be a good choice. Very popular drive among forums members here.

11. cbecklund macrumors newbie

12. Furifo macrumors 6502

Thanks for the confirmation, I appreciate it.

Looking forward to dumping this 5400rpm drive for an SSD.

13. peterson12 macrumors member

Deals can be trap at times!! Be careful. Have heard the latest SSDs especially non-sandforce ones are trying to sell off their SSDs are throw away prices as they are unable to compete with sandforce! I am not very sure on this, but got to know from a techie. I usually tend to proceed with a well known & tried/used,reviewed by many people. In this sense, sandforce seems winner to me, not just by listening to others but experiencing on my own too

14. paul-n macrumors regular

Most SSD manufacturers don't use Sandforce anymore in there current drives, like OCZ and Corsair. Only Intel and OWC still using Sandforce, companies like Crucial, Samsung, OCZ and Corsair are using their own controller or Marvell.

15. magbarn macrumors 68000

Really?! The only area that other SSD makers can't compete with Sandforce is Sandforce's abysmal failure rate. I'm an early adopter of SSDs and all my failed SSDs have been Sandforce based. I only get Sandisk, Intel, and Samsung SSDs now.

16. peterson12 macrumors member

I cannot say much if you have plans for a single sided argument. I believe in quality products & truly believe the recent sandforce products are very much better than the earlier ones & reliable, which has evidently lessened the failure rates. The controller technology was pioneered by sandforce & the recent new comers still would surely be needing suffcient settling time to compete with sandforce.