Need step by step Java Protection for Firefox

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by maclearning, May 21, 2009.

1. maclearning macrumors member

The still unfixed Java exploit causes me to have 1 specific question. I have a Java applet that I need to run. I just need that one Java applet.

Anyone have suggestions how I can use Firefox to launch the site that I need java applet for, but not have to do anything else? I don't think I'll have any problems turning "Enable Java" off in Firefox, but how can I make the exception to use this one Java applet? any Firefox Add on and/or step- by step guide would be most helpful.

2. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Leave Java and Javascript enabled in Firefox's preferences. Download and install the NoScript addon. It block all java/javacript by default. You then allow it on a website by website basis.

3. maclearning thread starter macrumors member

Ok I installed no script and left java enabled

Am I now safe from this exploit? When I had to restart Firefox, I got my usual prompt to allow applet, and my site works so far. (It's my fav mmorpg that runs only in Java for mac. They have a standalone, non browser option for PC but not Mac).

Do I need to tweak the settings at all, or is NoScript default setup fine, given that my Java applet still allows for me to play? Also, I DON'T have to uncheck "enable Java"?

Thanks for the quick response.

4. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Make sure you've got NoScript set to block all java and javascript, and only allow it on trusted sites. Don't allow any advertising servers. Unless you ahve told NoScript to allow your applet, it shouldn't be playing.

No, that completely disables all java.

5. maclearning thread starter macrumors member

Thanks I think I've got everything covered now... thanks again.