Need suggestion on laser multifunction

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by selfinfliction, Jul 18, 2012.

1. selfinfliction macrumors newbie

Am about to pull my hair out over this one....

We bought a new Xerox 6015 multifunction and it would not connect to a shared folder on either mac or scan to email. We then bought a Dell 1355 cnw multifunction and it would not connect or scan to email either (both were using email accounts on my mail server so the information was entered correctly).

The big kicker on this one is that the menus on both brands of those printers had an identical layout, they also had identical issues... It's like they are both using the same boards and firmware.

At this point I'm tired of dealing with it and we need to buy a color laser (or a solid ink) multifunction. Does anyone have a recommendation on a model to purchase? This is for home use only, so it doesn't need to be a high volume/capacity unit. Prefer to get something under $500, but can go over if we can get something that will work for 100% sure.

----------

Forgot to note, I tried using the image capture option on both mac's (both are running 10.7) and it would not detect the scanner.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I like the Brother multifunction units. Work well with Macs in terms of driver support and I've never had an issue with their scanning capabilities from either the flatbed or the document feeder via Image Capture.

3. selfinfliction thread starter macrumors newbie

I was checking those out last night and it looks like they are actually one of the few companies that provide a decent level of support for Mac so we will probably buy one of them. The two we were looking at are:

MFC-9325cw http://www.brother-usa.com/mfc/modeldetail.aspx?PRODUCTID=MFC9325CW

and

MFC9125CN http://www.brother-usa.com/MFC/modeldetail.aspx?PRODUCTID=MFC9125CN

Do you have any recommendations on one or the other? We have our house wired so having wireless or wired connectivity isn't a concern either way.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The only difference between the two is the wireless capability on the 9325, which is an extra $50. If you don't need taht you will probably be just fine with the 9125.

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I use a Brother DCP-7065DN, works great with our families macs.

6. robgendreau macrumors 68030

I agree that Brother seems to have great Mac support. Canon as well in my experience. But I'd check the manufacturer's website to see if they have Mountain Lion drivers anyway.

And I gave up on the multi-function thing; it seemed like the ones I had got orphaned more quickly than stand-alones. Especially the scanner feature. YMMV, but they seemed to be a compromise that didn't work over the long run.

7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

That's been my experience. There's good reason for the old "jack of all trades..." saying.

8. rpg51 macrumors 6502

rpg51

I like the Brother MFC line too -

never had a problem. Support is great. They just plain work well. One of mine is ethernet ready and that is a great feature if you have a network.
    Mine is mfc-7840w. Very happy with it.

9. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

I would also recommend the Brother MFC line. I used to (recently) work at OfficeMax during the school year and people almost never returned those. Don't ever buy a Lexmark anything because they're poor quality or a Dell because it's hard to find ink or toner anywhere but ordering it online. HP pretty much designs their printers to break after 2 years too.

If you wanted to go with a heavy-duty inkjet, I would recommend the Epson workforce line, since the ink is pretty cheap and the cartridges are huge. They also have large scanner beds.

10. selfinfliction thread starter macrumors newbie

A local Office Depot matched a price from Best Buy and sold us a new 9325cw for $349 today. Came home, installed it and everything worked perfectly, even had the app to print and scan from our droid phones that worked great too.

Wish we would've tried it out sooner, and we'll definitely give them priority when we buy a new one in the future.

Thanks for the info everyone.

11. rpg51 macrumors 6502

rpg51

I have one lower end Brother MFC laser

that I picked up a few years ago for $120. It has been 100% trouble free. Scans and Prints very well and very reliably.