Need suggestions for a card making software--birthday, greeting, etc.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by whimaway, May 28, 2009.

1. whimaway macrumors newbie

whimaway

Is this built into any mac applications already? Anyways, I need suggestions for a card making software--birthday, greeting, etc. Preferably free.

If anyone ever used the creative writer game, it has the most amazing card-creator. I still have the CD, but I don't know how to make os x 9 run on my laptop. If you could tell me how to do that that would be great too.

Thanks in advance! :)

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

iPhoto allows you to make 67 different cards using templates, but the final copies must be ordered through their Photo Services department. Pages has templates for creating cards & envelopes, but to a lesser extent, maybe 6-7 of each.

SheepSaver is a piece of free software that will allow you to run OS 9 on a newer system.

3. Pomeroy macrumors 6502

Pomeroy

I hated Print Shop from Broderbund on windows, but tried it several times over the years because other people used it. But it never got any better. When I moved to a Mac about 3 years ago I started to look for a Desktop Publisher for cards and posters. I noticed a new company had taken over the Mac version (MacKiev software). It sounded better than the Broderbund junk I had used before and it Integrated with iLife for photos, iCal and the address book but there was no FREE trial so I continued my search and never found anything that sounded good. After reading some bad reviews I almost gave up on Print Shop, but did decide to try anyway and ordered it, hoping I hadn't wasted my money.. For the first time in at least 15 years I feel like I got my moneys worth with Print Shop. It works really well with my Mac and doesn't hog all my computer resources , letting me leave it running while doing other things. But at $69.95 it's not cheap...:mad:

http://www.mackiev.com/print_shop.html

No I don't work for or know anyone that works for MacKiev, just a happy user of Print Shop. :)

4. whimaway thread starter macrumors newbie

whimaway

Thanks everyone! I'm going to try SheepSaver tonight with creative writer. I hope we still have the OS 9 disks. That is how you use it correct? You have to install OS 9 and then use the application?

5. whimaway thread starter macrumors newbie

whimaway

Wow, OK I am not tech-literate to figure out this application. Apparently SheepSaver is very unstable and not so user-friendly. I may just poke around in the basement and try to find the old computer.

Also checked out iPhoto, but again I am very cheap (just a student). I may just have to stick to the old fashioned way (pencil and paper).

I am currently downloading Paintbrush--maybe I can make the cards side and then rotate them? I wonder how many pixels 8x11 is...

6. mrmahaffey macrumors newbie

7. whimaway thread starter macrumors newbie

whimaway

Yes, but I'm specifically looking for something I can print out for free. Sorry, I'm just picky. At this point I think I'm just going to use multiple imaging programs and then paste it into word to see if it works with the 8x11 size.

Currently, I have paintbrush, gimp (or gimpshop, can't remember), and seashore on my computer, but I'm only familiar with paintbrush since it's like paint. Oh I loathe instruction manuals, but I guess I will have to get through the seashore one.