Need suggestions for a new harddrive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by H2theOliday, Oct 21, 2015.

1. H2theOliday macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

Recently my MacBook Pro crashed. My SMART status failed and eventually my hard drive crashed. I can no longer boot my computer and I need to replace the hard drive. That being said, I know almost nothing about computers. Can you please give me suggestions on what to do from here?

One of my friends said that if I took it to Apple it would be extremely expensive because their hard drives and repair are expensive. Another friend said to buy a hard drive online and take it somewhere to be fixed. I would really appreciate any suggestions. Thank you so much.

I don't know if this is helpful but here are my specs.

13 Inch MacBook Pro - 2012
    Processor 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB
    Software OS X 10.8.5 (12F45)

2. definitive, Oct 21, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2015

definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

I'm assuming that you have the non-retina MacBook Pro. Newegg is currently running a promotion on the Samsung 850 EVO 512GB SSD for $150 with coupon code 1020SALES24 That's probably one of the best deals currently available for this drive.

provides instructions on how to install it, and which screwdrivers to use. It's a fairly simple process.

After that you'll have to install OSX on it. I am not sure if you'll be able to access the recovery menu ( https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314 ) at this point (don't know if it's stored on the drive or elsewhere). If you have a second Mac, then it's an easy process which requires an 8gig USB flash drive. Download OSX from App Store, download DiskMaker X from http://diskmakerx.com/ and run the app to generate the installer USB. After that's finished, insert the USB into the MBP, and boot while holding the Option button. From the menu select the USB drive, and then you'll boot into the installer, where you'll be able to pick the new drive to install the OSX.

3. H2theOliday thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you have the money, an SSD would be a nice upgrade for you. The Samsung 850 EVO definitive mentioned is a good choice. Also the Crucial MX200 is worth looking at. Just grab whichever you can find cheapest in the size you want.

Just follow the steps here to swap out the drive.

Your 2012 model has Internet recovery, so once you install the new drive just hold common-option-r at boot to get to recovery. From there format the drive to Mac OS Extended with Disk Utility then install the OS. That will get you the OS that came from the factory. Then after you can update to El Capitan if you like.

If money is a concern, just grab a standard SATA 2.5" laptop hard drive like this and follow the same process.