Need suggestions for a rugged 5th gen case

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by davidg4781, Jul 31, 2014.

1. davidg4781 macrumors 68010

We have a 5th gen iPod touch we use at work all day every day. We also have cement floors and, needless to say, it gets dropped quite a bit.

We had an OtterBox Defender on it and since getting it almost a year ago the lanyard loop broke (on the case, not iPod) and I recently noticed some of the clips holding the plastic together have broken as well.

I understand they're not going to last and they'll break like this after some time. I'm wondering if there are any better or at least comparable cases out there. We used to have a 4th gen iPod touch with a Griffin Survivor. That held up really well but didn't have a lanyard holder (would like to have to keep the iPod from getting lost). We also had issues with the home button not registering presses through the case.

2. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

3. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68010

Ahh, I'll look into those. Are they pretty shock proof? A few people at work have one and while they look very secure to keep dust and water out they don't seem to offer much shock protection.

I don't really want to say where I work but if y'all live and shop in South Texas you may figure it out. It's a bit of a fast paced environment.

4. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

I like the griffin survivor cases...they aren't water proof but they are water resistant and more shock resistant! I love mine and it always works out great!

Oops...just noticed u said that you don't want a Survivor. Otter boxes seem to work well but I don't like the build quality and it doesn't have a lanyard holder...
    I don't like life proof because I personally don't think it is a very shock proof case and the touch screen doesn't register very well when you are typing of playing games and it really starts to get annoying, although as said above there is a loop for a lanyard.

----------

Was just thinking...u can probably put a lanyard under the bottom clasp of the griffin survivor screen protector...if the lanyard has some sort of string at the end.

5. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68010

I'd be ok with the Survivor if the Home Button worked. We use it to run our schedule and we need quick response sometimes. The 5th gen looks like it's flat and will register better. The 4th only used half the button, or something like that.

We used to use a lanyard attached to the rubber part around the camera, I can't remember where now since we don't have a 4th gen anymore. Does the 5th gen have a plastic area we can loop it around?

6. bluemud1977 macrumors newbie

I use speck cases on all my idevices, I currently have a speck candyshell grip case on my IPod 5G and it works really well, have dropped it a few times and no scratches or cracked screen

7. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

Well you know how the front snaps on since uve had one, I would get a lanyard and put the yarn part at the end of the lanyard (or whatever string like loop is on the lanyard) under and around the bottom part of the snap on case by where the charging port is

8. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I'm using a speck geo skin case on my ipod touch.

9. Photoshopper macrumors regular

Photoshopper

10. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68010

Thanks for all the help. I ended up getting another OtterBox, mainly because I found we can order through our own channels and we get a pretty big discount.

While it protects well it doesn't hold up. The one we have is loose around the edges on the outer rubber part. The inner part is pretty broken, I'm guessing from being dropped so many times.

11. Outrun1986 macrumors 6502

I use an agent 18 case, I will definitely be getting another one from this brand if the iPod touch 6 comes out and I get that. But overall I have had just as much luck with $2-3 TPU cases from eBay as I have had with pricey name brand cases.