Need suggestions for first time mac user

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hzxu, Dec 17, 2008.

1. hzxu macrumors regular

Hello, I'll buy a macbook for study(postgraduate computer science), as I never had a mac before(only used several times at uni's lab), so I want to know what software should I use for my study.

What I need:
    JAVA IDE: I am using Netbeans now for J2ME development, but Netbeans does not support J2ME under OSX directly, although it can support J2ME with some modifications, is there any alternatives?
    Latex: I have to use it for writing report, what software/package should I install and where can I get it?
    Gcc, make, etc: I have to use these basic build tools for some subjects, are they pre-installed in OSX?
    Python, prolog, etc: Sometimes I need these

Also, as I said, I've never used OSX(except for a little bit 'try it out' at uni's lab), is there a book/tutorial that is about the system(concept, accessory keys, etc)?

Lastly, what is the directory structure in OSX, it is based on unix, so does user login as root or a normal user with sudo ability?

Thanks a lot!

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

There are dedicated Java IDE's for MacOS X. There is also Xcode, which ships with every Mac as part of the Developer Tools. You appear to be interested in software development. Get to know Xcode. If the Developer Tools were not preinstalled, then install them.
    MacTeX
    Xcode provides a GUI to all of the UNIX development tools. I suggest that you use your AppleID to establish a free membership at the Apple Developer Connection.
    Of course. You are in a new land. You need to learn new ways. However, you cannot swallow the ocean in one gulp. Give yourself the time to learn the resources available on your new OS. The place to start is the ADC. You can non-ADC resources are readily available in the usual places that cater to Mac users.

MacOS X 10.5 is certified UNIX 03. It is one of the few certified ports of UNIX. The user has the same login options as any other UNIX port. There is no need to enable the root account. A user with an administrative account using sudo can do just about anything that needs to be done. Administrative accounts are fairly safe, but it is recommended that regular (non-administrative) accounts be used for normal operations.

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Unfortunately, the Java problem you're having stems from the fact that Java Micro Edition itself isn't available for Mac OS X, at least not that I know about. Same goes for Java Enterprise Edition. You can, however, do Java Standard Edition development on Mac OS X, since Mac OS X ships with a JRE and JDK.

4. exegete77 macrumors 6502a

Python is included in Mac OS X. If you look in the Applications folder, it is MacPython.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Close, but no cigar. It is true that Python is part of MacOS X, but MacPython is not. MacPython 2.5 is a MacOS X version of the Python IDE for MacOS 9. It is provided by the Python Software Foundation. It is possible that MacPython was bundled with your computer, but for most users, it is free download from the Python Software Foundation.

6. exegete77 macrumors 6502a

Thanks. So the fact that my relatively new (Feb MBP) does not list Python, means that I need to reinstall Python (from the main install disk)? Then get rid of the old MacPython? I had begun to dabble with it on my old eMac, but obviously haven't done anything with it since buying the MBP.