Need Suggestions for MBP purchase.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Max1242, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Max1242 macrumors newbie

I am upgrading after 5 years from a 20" iMac G5 to a new MBP 13 or 15" not sure yet, but I need some suggestions

1. for hard drive upgrades:is it better to purchase an upgrade from the apple store or just to get a new hard drive later?

2. Go Glossy Screen or Matt screen?

3. What accessories will enhance my use of the Laptop?

4. Keypad protectors? Which ones? Are there some out there that have larger letters on the keyboard that are helpful? Do these suck to use?

5. Do you need to get some sort of pad that goes on top of the keypad to prevent the screen from touching the keypad? Especially with a keypad protector?

6. How about a laptop stand for use on a desk? Are these helpful or do they feel like a good idea and then never get used?

7. Docking station with a monitor. Are there docking stations out there that are small and functional? Are there stands that work better?

8. Since the laptop is portable, which travel case works good?

9. Does a protective cover over the body help? Which companies have covers and which ones are better to use?

I know that most if not all of these questions are user preference, but I just need some feed back and some direction to some sites that have some of this stuff to make my own decision on the items to get for the MBP.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Shop around. Figure out what you want and then when you want it. Do some shopping and then you'll probably make a decision. For example, ultimately I imagine I'll get a SSD, but for now, I need the size of the hard drive. I upgrade my MacBook Pro's hard drive from the 500 GB 5400 RPM to the 7200 RPM because the $50 upgrade made sense for me.

This is purely a preference. If you have to do any serious work outside, then there may not be an option.

Umm...what are you looking for? I use (all links are reviews or threads by me):
    Bag: Tom Bihn Smart Alec
    Sleeve: Tom Bihn Brain Cell
    Case: Speck (see your question below)
    Keyboard cover: iSkin Pro Touch (see below)
    Mouse: Logitech MX Revolution
    Keyboard: Logitech diNovo Edge Mac Edition
    USB Hub: D-Link 7 somethingorother
    Speakers: variety, check this post.
    Headphones: even more, if you have further questions ask
    Other: Blue Lounge's Cool Feet
    & Radtech’s ScreenSavrz.

I love my iSkin Pro Touch, haven't looked back since.

I use Radtech's ScreenSavrz. Seriously saves your screen, especially if you decide to use a keyboard protector.

I have owned the big three. My favorite was the Logitech Alto Connect. It's a personal preference, I rarely typed on it. I do enjoy now using Blue Lounge's Cool Feet instead.

I cannot recommend Tom Bihn's Brain Cell enough. As for the bags and what not, that's a personal choice, but the protection of the Brain Cell is unmatched as far as I'm concerned.

I use Speck's SeeThru Satin Soft Touch. I would buy Incase, as I explain in there. As for using one - I find it a must.

I'll be glad to answer any other questions. Hope that helps.

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

If you need something to prevent your keypad protector from touching your screen, what would you buy to protect a screen protector from touching your screen, or your screen protector from bumping uglies with your keyboard protector? :confused:

You're worrying too much about accessories. Buy the laptop, buy a bag (or two), and wait to see if you even need something else. This may even save you some money. ;)

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I second Abstract's thoughts. I don't regret any of those products, but I don't need them by any means. There are somethings you might want to get at first like a case, but even that may not be something you end up liking and that will set back you $50.

5. hackum macrumors regular

I'd always go for Matte screen but this is not an available option for the 13" model.

6. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

responses below are my personal preferences.

definitely the 15"

upgrade yourself, ridiculously easy and significantly cheaper.

Matte.

mouse and keyboard and external monitor

superfluous.

ridiculous.

decadent.

unwieldy.

i use a zipped foam sleeve and then carry it in a regular bag.

no.

YMMV.

7. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I'm just going to add that, especially if you are likely to keep this laptop for 3-5 years, if at all possible, wait until they are updated with the new i series processors. The core2duo's in the existing line are already essentially 3+ year old tech. If ever there was a good time to wait for updates, it's now.