Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prodigee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I as of recently have really started getting into making mixes and mashups, and as a result am in need of a decent pair of headphones that have decent all around performance for like a max of $100. If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

Please note that I do not want open cans because of the sound leakage, I do a lot of my mixing and sampling during my free's at school (gotta love the life of a highschool senior).

Thanks guys.

Rampant.A.I.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2009
Shure makes SE110 earbuds for around 70-100 bucks. They're earplug-style, so they block out most external sound with minimal sound leakage.

They also have some pretty nice bass.

The only thing is, they take some getting used to. It took me about two weeks until I no longer felt like I was listening to music with Q-tips in my ears with my SE210's.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I have Koss Porta Pros and they are brilliant headphones for their price (40€). I can recommend them for everyone. All of my friends have them, and about 40% of people in my school have them. Moreover they have lifetime warranty so you don't have to buy new ones all the time

prodigee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I have Koss Porta Pros and they are brilliant headphones for their price (40€). I can recommend them for everyone. All of my friends have them, and about 40% of people in my school have them. Moreover they have lifetime warranty so you don't have to buy new ones all the time

Are they good with hip-hop, techno, and rock? That is primarily what I work with. So really I need good bass decent mids and decent highs. I will look into the porta-pros the lifetime warranty sounds like a deal to me.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
Are they good with hip-hop, techno, and rock? That is primarily what I work with. So really I need good bass decent mids and decent highs. I will look into the porta-pros the lifetime warranty sounds like a deal to me.

Yes. They are not necessarily known for mixing. I would not get an IEM, only because there is no need to. A closed can is for mixing is going to way better then a $100 IEM. Try these.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland

Couple of my friends uses them for mixing and many of my friends listen to hip-hop and techno and they like Porta Pros. IMO they have great bass. GoldenMacKid's may be better but also more expensive, so if you can, go to store and try both of them

prodigee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Yes. They are not necessarily known for mixing. I would not get an IEM, only because there is no need to. A closed can is for mixing is going to way better then a $100 IEM. Try these.

Those look pretty legit. Shure I know makes good stuff. I will look into those for sure. And from what I read the PortaPros are nice, they just don't really seem to be what I am looking for in terms of the ability to reproduce in every category, which is basically what I need. Goldenkid do you by anychance have a review of the shures? Oh and your site is very legit, props to you man.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
Those look pretty legit. Shure I know makes good stuff. I will look into those for sure. And from what I read the PortaPros are nice, they just don't really seem to be what I am looking for in terms of the ability to reproduce in every category, which is basically what I need. Goldenkid do you by anychance have a review of the shures? Oh and your site is very legit, props to you man.

A week or so and I should have a review. If you have any specific questions I can answer them.

prodigee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Anyother suggestions? I took a look at the Audio Technicas, I am just not sure if they are entirely there for what I want.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Koss PortaPros are nice, I actually have two pairs.
I only use them on iPod etc because they doesn't need to much power.

As an indoor headphone set for mixing and such I really don't recommend PortaPros.

They're sound curve is way too heavy on bottom and missing quite a bit in upper mid.

Grado SR 80 or better are really nice headphones for home use, but cables are a bit too thick to use on iPods and such

prodigee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Any other suggestions? I am still open to what is out there, the Shure's do look pretty good at this point. GoldenMacKid do you know when your review will be done?

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
Any other suggestions? I am still open to what is out there, the Shure's do look pretty good at this point. GoldenMacKid do you know when your review will be done?

Umm, the text is done. Waiting on some other things, probably towards the end of the week. After briefly listening to Shure's SRH840 - which I will also be reviewing; get the SRH440's, especially at that Amazon price. In short, the SRH440s are for listening, they have a deeper bass and a more pleasurable sound; the SRH840s are incredibly balanced, but suffer from the similar problem of Yahama's HS80M - if that is a problem at all...

prodigee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Ok cool, I am pretty much sold on the SRH440's when I get them, I will be sure to post back here and give my thoughts on them. Who knows I might even do a video review if I like them enough.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
Ok cool, I am pretty much sold on the SRH440's when I get them, I will be sure to post back here and give my thoughts on them. Who knows I might even do a video review if I like them enough.

I think you made the right choice. If all you were doing was solely monitoring, the SRH840s might be right, but they really are not ideal for pleasurable listening, especially without an amp.

prodigee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Yeah after reading a whole bunch of reviews I found on the web, I decided that the 440's really were better for what I wanted to do. Thanks for the help GoldenMacKid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.