Need suggestions for printer over network

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Detlev, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Detlev macrumors 6502a

Our office printer (HP 3380) has provided years of dutiful service and I am sorry I have to let it go. We are upgrading our network and computers. The wireless base station is now a Time Capsule. Apparently the printer does not work with the new base station. I am thinking we will need to purchase a new printer/fax/copier. I need something that is durable, prints quality documents, works over the wireless network, and is not an inkjet.

If you have first hand experience with something that meets these requirements or have another option for me please post your suggestion. Thank you.

2. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

I don't think that's true. Since it's a postscript printer, it should work with virtually any network equipment, from a Mac. The postscript driver (PPD) is included in OS X. An alternate driver is also included (Gutenprint) - or, you can get it via Gutenprint update:
    http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php

Before trashing a perfectly good printer, please tell us how you decided it doesn't work - how have you tried adding it in Print & Fax prefs?

3. Detlev thread starter macrumors 6502a

I installed the base station using the exact same settings of the previous station. When I checked the external print server I found that it was not receiving a signal from the station. I ran a configuration report which verified that it was not communicating. Then two of us spent a day and a half trying various configurations. We were able to create an ad hoc peer to peer network (computer to print server) but that would require everyone signing in and out of networks just to print. We then re-installed the older base station with the original print server configuration. It worked. We then went back and installed the new base station with the same print server configuration. It did not work.

I spent some time searching for information on the web and found that
    1. HP does/did not support USB-connected-to-AirPort setups
    2. HP no longer supports the 3380 (its been a great machine but it is a few years old)
    3. There are lists of printers that do not work with the new base stations (meaning plug into base station this is why HP had us install the print server but now the server does not configure to work with the new base station either)

We have been using the Apple drivers since, I don't know, a while back. They were being updated whereas the HP printers were not. I've checked into the HPIJS and Gutenprint sites but do not know how to proceed. Is one better than the other? Do we have to keep updating every machine? How easy are they to install and uninstall, especially since they clearly say that they may just not work.

I'm game, as long as I don't get fired for taking down the network or doing damage to company files.

Otherwise it is back to the drawing board and finding a new machine.

4. alexmadison macrumors member

alexmadison

Professional and user reviews identify the Canon Pixma MX850 as the best multifunction printer overall, particularly for small offices. Text and graphics quality is first rate

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

Take a look at the Brother MFC-9840CDW. ;)

I use the MFC-9450, which doesn't have the wireless feature, but it works really well. Inexpensive for consumables as well, especially to HP's. ;)

6. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

There are no Apple drivers - there are drivers supplied by HP, included in OS X.
    Gutenprint (and hpijs for that matter) are supplied in Mac standard .dmg (disk image) files and are completely simple to install.

I believe what you have described is a wireless print server that isn't properly setup. (or maybe isn't functioning - or doesn't support the wireless security mode you've selected, etc.) What model is it?
    I'm sorry to press you on this, but if you can't get this to work I don't think your chances of getting a new printer to work are good, either.

7. Detlev thread starter macrumors 6502a

No offense taken. My thought was the server (380x) had somehow become defunct in between installs but I am able to install and configure it with the old base station over and over again. I just can't get it to configure and communicate with the new Time Capsule (500GB). I assumed it might be something to do with the timed access so I have turned that off and allowed access to the base station station with just the password. Still no go.

I am able to access the setup program on the print server. Once the settings are entered (network type, name, password, encryption, DHCP) it starts the configuration and then loses contact then nothing. I've also tried the "wizard" in the program which allows the system to help properly set things up. Same result.

Yes, it could be the wireless security mode. But we have been using WPA/WPA2 all along. The only change now is the Time Capsule is 802.11n whereas the print server is 802.11b. I assume the base station knows what to use when requested. No?

8. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

Is it possible you have N-only selected? Also, are you using both the old AEBS and Time Capsule or just Time Capsule for router? - More to the point, are there two routers in the network?

9. Detlev thread starter macrumors 6502a

Radio Mode is set to Automatic. There is just the one presently.

10. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

To clarify - the Time Capsule is the only router in the network?
    Please tell me the IP addresses of the Mac, the Time Capsule and any other computer.
    And for troubleshooting, how about putting the old Base Station back in and giving me the same IP addresses then?

I haven't heard of this before, but I guess it's possible the Time Capsule won't auto-negotiate with the print server. Hope all this isn't wasting your time! My opinion is that older HPs are usually better than anything built these days.

11. Detlev thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes
    I am in before everyone else so I have turned off everything except for this workstation and the printer/server.

Base Station is 10.0.1.1
    Computer is 10.0.1.5

Installed the old base station and...

Base Station is 10.0.1.1
    Computer is 10.0.1.5
    Printer automatically shows up at 10.0.1.4 (which is where I manually set it)

12. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

Is your TC the new sim dual band model?

If so you should have no trouble connecting your HP machine into it with about a 3 minute setup...

I have the AEBS router and added 6 machines, a Brother 7840W laser AIO and two networked storage HDD's into it all in separate steps, each was as easy as the last (oops, forgot my iPod touch)... so there's various B, G and N devices on my network...

If you bought the old version, return it and get the new sim dual band model, then you don't have to worry about mixed mode and slower connections...

13. Detlev thread starter macrumors 6502a

Brand new from the Apple store this week. 500GB. Sticker on the box says it is compatible with 802.11 a/b/g/n-enabled stuff.

I've set up every unit that has come through here in the last decade. I usually can have it up and running in no time. This one has stymied me.

14. Detlev thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've done a strict comparison of what the differences between the old base station and the new Time Capsule.

• There are a few new window panes in the updated software
    • The old software version is 5.7, the new is 7.4.2
    • The old channel is 10, the new is set to 149 and 1 (automatic) — there are two AirPort IDs one for 2.4 GHz and one for 5 GHz
    • The Ethernet IDs are different of course
    • Under the wireless tab (and this is where I have been focusing some attention as of late) the old is set to 802.11 b/g compatible and the channel as mentioned above
    • the new wireless tab is set to automatic (802.11a/n - 802.11b/g/n (I have manually set the various settings here but without a difference at the print server), again the channel is as mentioned above
    • This should have nothing to do with it but the internet connection DHCP is longer on the new than it is on the old
    • IPv6 mode is set to Link-local only (choices include Node and Tunnel—to be honest I do not know what these setting are for or how they might affect this situation)

Other than that there are no changes. The print server is not communicating with the base station. If I use Network Utility with the new station I do not see the print server at all.

15. Detlev thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tried the HPIJS install with the two additional files required. Install was easy enough. Unfortunately, as I believe I read somewhere on the net, it did not work. Back to trying to make this work or finding that new printer.

16. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

Yup, sounds pretty frustrating...
    If you don't mind having two routers running, try this -
    plug the old AEBS into the Time Capsule..
    using the Airport Utility software, set the Time Capsule to N-Only mode, and,
    set the old AEBS to Not Distribute IP addresses.

This amounts to using the old AEBS as your b/g access point, while the new Time Capsule is your N devices access point. This method has been offered by some as a way to optimize network throughput - because g devices don't slow down the n devices!

PS - by turning Off Distribute IP Addresses on the AEBS, you make the Time Capsule the DHCP server/router for the whole network - and the AEBS is just an access point.

17. joaoferro99 macrumors member

18. amazingmiki macrumors newbie

GutenPrint just screwed up my MacBook 13". I had to use the recovery disk and migrate all my stuff again! It's a screw up!

19. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Um-m-m-m, no. Many Mac users have installed Gutenprint and used its drivers on their Macs. You are the very first to ever report that it screw up anything. You might be better served if you would tell us what you did including the version of Gutenprint that you installed and then ask how you can correct it.

20. jcpenn macrumors member

Second big vote to Gutenprint! It's an amazing sw! love it!