Need suggestions on a 32" tv

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by danielveeee, Aug 8, 2010.

1. danielveeee macrumors regular

I'm gonna be buying a 32" tv for me in the upcoming week. My budget will be around $600.
    I wont be using it as a monitor for my mbp, but may connect it from time to time idk. I will mount it on the wAll.
    I watch a lot of sports and will be Gaming from time to time
    Anyone have any experience or know of a good tv, any help is greatly appreciated.

Also any brands to stay away from?

Thnaks

2. 184550 Guest

I'd recommend looking at the Vizio brand. Great value for the money. At Sam's Club you can pick up a 32 inch Vizio for about $350 or a 42 inch for about $620.

3. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

Vizio is good for the money - I'll second that. Also, Best Buy's Insignia brand is good for the money - most all of them are rebranded Samsungs.

4. aislepathlight macrumors member

I got a 32 inch, 1080p Panasonic earlier this year for $460 with free shipping, that I'm really liking all around. I think it was the TC-L32S1, but they don't seem to have such good prices on them any more.

But if you can find something comparable, I'd highly recommend it

5. danielveeee thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, vizio seems like a great option for the price..
    Also if I like to watch sports is 120hz necessary?

6. 184550 Guest

I have no idea to be honest, but it certainly can't hurt. :p

Also, if you don't have a Sam's Club membership, the Wal-Marts and Targets around me have begun to carry an increasingly wide stock of Vizios, so you may want to check there as well.

7. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

I also have a 32" Vizio that I bought at Walmart last year for $428 and its a great TV. I believe you can get it for $388 from Walmart now.

8. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

Make sure it is 1080p. Don't skimp for the 720p, its not worth it. Also, the 120 hz makes a difference, but some people don't like it. The difference between 120 & 240 is negligible. I got a 60hz 1080p 32" Toshiba earlier this year for $389. If I had to do it again I'd go bigger and by a separate monitor to use with my mbp

9. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

10. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

Yes.

Get a Vizio LED 120Hz. Wally world has them for about 800 I think for a 37 or 42". I was there the other day and they had a 120Hz setup next too a 60Hz. Difference is obvious.

Also check amazon.com, they have several nice TVs for cheap.

11. Aljovido macrumors member

I highly recommend Sony. If you can stretch your budget to $629, you can grab this beauty: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BRAVIA-5...3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1281310877&sr=8-3

Looks FANTASTIC in store. I am planning on getting the 40" version of this sometime within the next couple weeks. Samsung are nice too, but I just think they are behind Sony in aesthetic design. I would only grab a Samsung if I was set on LED.

Stay away from Dynex, Insignia (low-end brands), and Mitsubishi (they have horrible customer service according to what I've read).

I remember when Vizio came out, they were a really low end brand (Wal-mart bargain brand kid of thing). I know some people that purchased some of their early TVs and now they look terrible just a few years later. Nowadays it seems like they've stepped it up a lot when it comes to quality, but I still can't trust them. I know Sharp had a lot of quality issues when they started making flat-screens, but I don't know anyone personally who owns one.

When it comes down to it you probably won't have a wall of TVs in your house to notice all the subtle differences, so get what feels right. :D But like others have said, at least try and go for 1080p and 120Hz.

12. 184550 Guest

I'd hardly call them 'low-end'. Have you ever been in a Best Buy and seen one in action?

You are also aware that LG makes them and 'Insignia' is merely the brand name Best Buy markets them under? LG makes some pretty decent TVs.

13. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

how many windows are in the room with the tv? Does Glare bother you? I have a vizio 32 i have had for 3 years and no problems with it. It is matte so that i can see during the day. If your room has a lot of windows i would think about glare if you plan on watching during the day.

14. Shadow Zujed macrumors member

Go with a Samsung or Sony.

At that size, the low end brands and high end brands are actually very close in price, so for the same amount of money, why NOT get the better brand?

And whoever said to go 1080p and not "skimp" on the 720, is wrong. You can't even notice the difference between the two resolutions until 36" and up, and that is pushing it. 40" is where the picture becomes noticeably different.

Plus, you will mainly only be getting full HD on bluray. Most HD games and broadcasts are 720p upscaled to 1080p.

15. Aljovido macrumors member

I have owned two Insignia televisions. Yes, they work OK, but on the scale of things they are low-end. I actually go to best buy quite often, especially this past month, and have done hours of research on TVs (as I am purchasing a new one soon). Side-by-side insignia just doesn't look as good as Sony or Samsung.

The OP gave us a budget for a 32", and so I am suggesting the best they can get for the money.

16. danielveeee thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everybody, I'll be deciding this weekend
    I'll prolly visit sams club and Costco, because of good return policys and warranty etc.. Last year our one year old samsung died and they replaced it.

And should I stay away from samsung, I hear great things, but I hear a lot of horror stories about picture going out after a year or two.

I'll prolly end up with a Sony bra via or a vizio, and maybe evEn a vizio 40".

17. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

The way I see it is that the difference in price between 720 and 1080 isn't big enough to justify the drop down. He said he wasn't sure if he would use it in the future with his mbp. If I was unsure, why not go with the 1080 because that will make a huge difference. 720 on a 32" via mbp doesn't look anywhere near as good as 1080. I agree with you on the tv upscaling, but why limit yourself. I wouldn't go with the lower quality, but to each their own.