need sum advice please

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cameo89, Apr 21, 2009.

1. cameo89 macrumors newbie

cameo89

Hello you all! new to the site and sum what new to the iphone about 6 months! anyways I cant handle the huge AT&T bill any more so I wanna buy a cheap gophone,activate and put (gophone sim) in my iphone! I did alot of reading on your site and not sure what to believe! my iphone is LOCKED rite now and I want to unlock it, my version is 2.2.1

Do I need to unlock my my iphone to use a gophone sim?

also does any one know if the $19.99 unlimited data cards are still available?
    from what I have read they stopped that data plane.

I'm sure I have a few more questions but I will save them for another day!

Thanks for any & all help that can be given, Yon

2. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

3. jmccullough108 macrumors 6502a

jmccullough108

If you are on 2.2.1, that probably means that you are on an updated baseband. Currently, to my knowledge at least, yellowsn0w doesn't work with the latest basebands.

4. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

Spell check works. Your post is very difficult to read and makes giving any concerted effort to aid you very difficult.

5. cameo89 thread starter macrumors newbie

cameo89

sorry! I use short hand for texting on my mobile! but I dont see much that cant be read!

sum=some
    ur=your
    wat=what

but thank you for your imput

6. Cuthbert macrumors regular

Agreed. It's hard to take your post seriously when it looks like a 4th grader wrote it. Sorry man.

7. cameo89 thread starter macrumors newbie

cameo89

I dunno wat u is da prob wit my thread? I c no prob read n it, even my wifey n my kiddos red it wit no prob so I guess Im gonna b out n go sum where else to try n solve my issue! by da way I got da new spell check thingy! wonder if it worked? so dis is a mobile site? rite? so do u guys use texting? let me guess all yall use full words an not short hand slang.
    so if I was ta use dis word n u might not b able to unda stand it.
    so I m a 32 yr old man wit more dan a 4th grade edgeamacation! lol

sum things r just habbit afta text n fer so many yrs.

may b once I make it ta da 5th grade I try n come back!

8. efice32 macrumors 6502

^ Would that have been too difficult? The issue is that while, yes, many people use shorthand and slang for texting, this is not texting. This is a message board. You have a full keyboard in front of you (unless you posted this via a cell phone). I understand using shorthand when it actually shortens words, but you wrote "to" as "ta" -- that's the same number of letters and saved you no effort or time. It just made you look unprofessional. You even made the word "habit" longer.

To answer your question, unlocking a 3G iPhone on 2.2.1 is not possible at this time via a software unlock (yellowsn0w) because the baseband (upgraded with 2.2.1) has not yet been cracked (that I'm aware of). If you'd like to use a go-phone plan, I believe the only way to do that is on an original iPhone. I'm not positive about that, so maybe someone else can help you out with a more confident answer. Welcome to the boards!

9. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I'm not sure which is more troublesome; the OPs spelling/grammar, or the fact that he's 32, communicates with his children like that, and is proud of it.

10. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

Gotta go with everyone else on this one. Buddy, you're asking for peoples' help, and around here people are usually more than happy to give it, but treat them with a little respect and give them something readable. It takes me at least twice as long to plow through your garbled 'shorthand' than it would to read it as plain English. May save your time (even though I doubt that a little), but it wastes everyone else's. Plus, if your question is readable, meaning understandable, you'll probably get a more useful answer. In 32 years you haven't figured out that how you present yourself affects the results you get in life?

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Actually, yes, when I send a text, I do use full words.

12. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Go back and read what you sound like here. Is it possible for you to type full words? I've never been into typing txt-speak. However, with the iPhone, it's so easy to type full words on it because of the auto-correct, that I don't have to worry about shortening my typing... besides... trying to type short-hand on the iPhone is even more annoying because you have to constantly tell it that the built in English dictionary is wrong and that u no how 2 spell rite.

13. John T macrumors 68020

John T

The reason why "abbreviated" texting became popular was because the early 'phones were only capable of text messages of a few hundred characters. Nowadays that limitation does not generally apply. So what's to be gained - typing speed? - hardly! Reading/comprehension? - definitely not!

Children, from their earliest years, learn from their experiences and the examples set by adults. I feel sorry for the OP's offspring! The example set by their parents mean that they stand a good chance of growing up with limited communication skills, bad grammar and the inability to spell correctly!

14. Devilishly Good macrumors newbie

Have to agree with the replies

It's one thing to use texting shortcuts while texting, but it doesn't make any sense to use it here on the forums. Another poster was right, presentation affects people's responses to your questions. There is a time and a place. When I play games online, I use a bunch of shortcuts since there isn't time to compose full sentences when some monster is about to eat your face. Do I use the same style when I post a question to the game's forum? No.

I also have to agree that you shouldn't be proud of or modelling this type of communication style to your kids. I've already seen students here in our high school turning in research papers to their teachers with texting speech in them, and it makes me cringe. Another acquaintence has seen plenty of resumes turned in with texting speech and incorrect spelling or grammer. Those resumes enjoy a quick trip to the trash can.

The only reason I clicked on this topic in the first place was because of the misspelling and I wanted to be entertained. I have to say I wasn't disappointed.

15. cameo89 thread starter macrumors newbie

cameo89

the whole point was to ask for help! the only feedback i am getting is insults for a few short handed words! maybe a few letters in the wrong spots, but never the less. i have read all the insults and actually if all of you can read properly, not all of you can spell either, or some of you short handed your comments! so, your differant than me! so, as you all can see, I CAN SPELL CORRECTLY AS ALL OF YOU! NOW, 2nd OF ALL BACK OFF ABOUT THE KID THINGY! ME & MY WIFE HAVE 6 KIDS BETWEEN BOTH OF US! AS MATTER A FACT, ALL OF THEM ARE HONOR ROLL STUDENTS! SO, THEY DO SHORT HANDED AS WELL AS I DO, SO MY SHORT HANED TYPING HAS NOT A DAMN THING TO DO WITH THEIR GRAMMER! my kids are very SMART! which as for the rest of you, down grading a man and belittling his kids! good luck to all of you that have nothing better to do than down grading and belittling children! that doesn't say much about each of you! don't blame me because of your children must be that way! good luck with each of your children! it's a shame my kids just showed me how to fix my problem this morning before school! damn! their grammer must be better than all of you! HAVE A GREAT DAY!

P.S. NOW I HAVE FIGURED OUT WHY TODAYS GENERATION IS THE WAY IT IS, BECAUSE OF PEOPLE LIKE EACH OF YOU!

16. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Whoa man! Calm down. We're just saying that you're more likely to get a serious answer if you had asked in a civilized way. You sound like a 5 year old when to you type the way you did.

Not to pour salt on your wounds or anything, but even when you were typing out long-hand (which must have been quite the chore for you), you still couldn't capitalize words after punctuation or even use apostrophes correctly.

I got a kick out of this statement: "so, your differant than me! so, as you all can see, I CAN SPELL CORRECTLY AS ALL OF YOU!"

17. cameo89 thread starter macrumors newbie

cameo89

QUOTE=TheSpaz;7502926]Go back and read what you sound like here. Is it possible for you to type full words? I've never been into typing txt-speak. However, with the iPhone, it's so easy to type full words on it because of the auto-correct, that I don't have to worry about shortening my typing... besides... trying to type short-hand on the iPhone is even more annoying because you have to constantly tell it that the built in English dictionary is wrong and that u no how 2 spell rite.[/QUOTE]

WELL I SEE YOUR NOT PERFECT EITHER! WAS YOUR DICTIONARY TURNED OFF?

18. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

If I were you I'd just step back and find a new thread. You're doing nothing but making yourself look foolish. And screaming at us about how you can spell better than us while misspelling a good percentage of your words does nothing for your argument.

Just curious.... Does your family van have "My kid's on the honor roll!!" stickers all over the bumpers?

19. cameo89 thread starter macrumors newbie

cameo89

If all of you go back and look at what you type, you use short hand and misspell. Sorry guys I'm NOT a school teacher and did'nt realize that you were all sitting in the teachers school lounge grading papers. I can spell proper but just out of habbit I use short hand, mybad

20. John T macrumors 68020

John T

With respect, I hope their spelling and grammar are better than yours! ;)

21. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

There may be some teachers around here but I'm not one of them. I just believe that by age 32 you should have some basic understanding of the way the English language is used correctly. Especially if you're supposed to be a role model for six children.

22. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

You can write however you want but if you write like a retard, you can hardly expect any different response. Want help, work a little for it.

23. cameo89 thread starter macrumors newbie

cameo89

lmfao! (i probably should spell all of that one out for the slow people on here!) but, anyways! as a matter of fact... i dont own a van! we own 2 4x4's, and YES we are PROUD PARENTS! all of you are making this a complaint board, mixed with insults. why should i use "PERFECT GRAMMER" to ask a question? i bet none of you have ever spent play time or threw a football or played basketball or game time or even better yet, ate at a dinner table with your children and asked " HOW WAS YOUR DAY TODAY?" with your kids! my grammer or typing skills are not that important as the fact of asking all of you a question about my cell phone! i had only 2 people that were kind enough to HELP WITHOUT INSULTS! 2! the rest of you don't have anything better to do! 1 person stated "WELCOME TO THE BOARD!' and another stated " WE'RE HAPPY TO HELP!" then insulted right after! NOW! WHO IS REALLY ACTING LIKE A 5YR OLD? OR SOMEONE WITH A 4th GRADE EDUCATION? LMFAO!

24. cameo89 thread starter macrumors newbie

cameo89

apparently we are doing something right! our kids are getting great grades in school & they are turning out to be great kids and the whole school loves all of them! great grades & they play sports, parents trust us with their kids all the time & 1 of them is a teacher! lol! this is the highlight of my day! the wife & i are just reading these with such humor! great thing that we both have great personalities! im glad she is nothing like all of you, except, the couple that were kind and egar to help me without hast! thank you to those that tried to help!

25. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Are you really "LYFAO"??

And I'm pretty sure I didn't insult you. I only expressed my opinion.