Need Superdrive Caddy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Wicked1, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Ok so have a Monster SSD as primary Drive but now want to move my Seagate Hybrid 500GB drive as a secondary drive and move the superdrive to a caddy, need suggestions on a good caddy and aux bay for the 500GB I was thinking of getting the OWC caddy for the 500GB but not sure about external caddy for superdrive

2. nitromac macrumors 6502

Don't bother getting the one from OWC. They're very overpriced for what they are. The ones from Nimitz are pretty highly regarded -- I bought one for my 2012 MBP. Has been working perfectly for over a year now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2nd-HDD-SDD...7?pt=US_Drive_Bay_Caddies&hash=item415b737383

They have more models in their ebay store (for your specific mac) so don't immediately consider the one I linked above.

As for a superdrive caddy -- I don't know. I bought one from ebay for ~$15 and it works fine, but it was pretty difficult to put the superdrive in the enclosure. It was more than a tight fit and I ended up breaking some of the case's plastic bits. Tested it with an old CD and it worked fine, no scratches so I don't believe I bent or broke anything related to the drive itself. Here's the link (this one looks similar enough): http://www.ebay.com/itm/External-US...=US_CD_DVD_Blu_Ray_Drives&hash=item43aeaa53ed

3. raptor402 macrumors 6502

A word of warning: most of the cheap caddy bays you'll find on eBay and Amazon will limit your HDD's bandwidth to 1.5GB/s. Make sure you only buy a genuine, verified bay. You might have to spend $10 extra for a quality bay, but it'll be money well invested.

Regards
    Raptor

4. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

How can you find this out after the fact?

Looks like my el-cheapo ebay caddy for $12 is linked at 3GB/s for my Optibay..

Attached Files:

5. raptor402 macrumors 6502

I apologise. I was mistaken. The cutdown isn't to 1.5Gb/s, but to 3Gb/s from 6Gb/s. It's not present on my MBP (I have a mid 2010 15" with SATA II), but I noticed it on two different caddy bays (a cheap knock off and a genuine branded one) on my cousin's 2012 13". But I suppose it doesn't make much of a difference with HDDs.

Regards
    Raptor